PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pinkish screen after loadbar

krazywolf
February 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I just installed ubuntu. Never used it before. after the load bar the screen comes up as a beige pinkish screen, with a box and a movable curser. I have no idea how to load the desktop or anything.

Please help, and let me know what info u need me to provide to help

krazywolf
February 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
can anyone help me? i was installing 8.04 LTS and got this problem.. i have an Nvidia which ive heard has issues... anyone know what to do?

RedRingRico
February 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I am having a similar problem. I installed Ubuntu 8.10 today on a pretty old computer (2003 or 2004 Gateway) and after putting my user name and password the desktop does not load. The screen stays either black or brownish(the ubuntu color) but nothing ever loads. I am wondering if the computer is too old for this OS. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

krazywolf
February 19th, 2009, 01:49 AM
mine isnt to old... and i installed the 8.04 version... i cant even type anything in... unless i go to the command prompt.... but when then i have no idea what to do.

RedRingRico
February 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I found this forum post and it actually solved my problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073699

Read post #5 and see if that will fix your problem.

I just started with Ubuntu and I already love it! I just now need to install it on my HP Mini

brian_hayward
February 19th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I found this forum post and it actually solved my problem.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073699

Read post #5 and see if that will fix your problem.

I just started with Ubuntu and I already love it! I just now need to install it on my HP Mini

I am running a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, I was also having troubles booting up Ubuntun 8.10 after installation. I got to the login screen and password, then it just stalled out. I thought my computer was making bad images on the CD so I burned three different images on CD's and on to one DVD. Then i read the above post, followed referenced post #5's instructions and 8.10 booted right up and is working fabulously. Cheers to the people involved in these posts which saved countless hours for a lot of people with the same problem.