PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cairo or AWN?

listerdl
February 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Why should one be better then the other?

BlazinNightSkye
February 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Cairo actually acts like a mac dock, where AWN you have to click the program you want from the bar, otherwise it wont recognize your using that program. Cairo recognizes the program you use regardless if you click it from the dock or from the menu. AWN may have changed that though, since i used it last. I also find Cairo easier to install, and customize.

Psyphre
March 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
i actually prefer awn. Its tru cairo is probably better in terms of customizing but I just prefer awn. Also loads of awn plugins and applets which (As far as i know) arent on cairo.

For example:
shows pidgin avatars on the dock for conversation windows
coverart for music players
movie thumbnails for totem
etc.

SpriteSODA
March 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
well, I've tried both and my conclusion is: NONE :P

try GNOME Do's Docky, bug-free and awesome

binbash
March 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Cairo is better than AWN.It is feature rick however i prefer gnome do's docky

andrea000
March 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I am using cairo dock seems like i can customize it real easy and it's act's more like a
mac doc.Never used awn when i looked into it cairo did more of the stuff that i liked.

mpsii
March 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I haven't liked any of them. They all seem to be difficult to use for me.

Gnome-Do: can't seem to place it anywhere but the bottom (I know I can mod a text file, but it is a GUI dock for a GUI environment WITH GUI utilities.)

AWN: doesn't seem to like me at all. I cannot get it to work on Hardy or Intrepid.

Cairo: doesn't have the feature set

I am not even sure if there are others, but I seem to remember pypanel or some such that was python based and e17's engage. I dunno... I am just sticking with the usual XFCE fair right now.