PDA

View Full Version : What are we saying about browsers? Firefox all the way?

listerdl
February 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hi, i love firefox, especially foxmarks as an entension which i highly recommend. I've never had an issue with firefox and obviosuly as a free and open source application, it is more than amazing.

But curiosity always gets me: do people reading this thread use other browsers and why? :-k

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM
There are alot of other users using different browsers for their own reasons. But I am still using Firefox. By the way, this thread should have been posted in the Cafe so it can be move to Reoccuring discussions :D

zvacet
February 19th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Opera.With it I get browser,mail client,chat and torrent.All in one.

Old *ix Geek
February 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
SeaMonkey. It includes a terrific browser plus e-mail/news/IRC clients.

But--being a *nix user!--I love having lots of stuff available to me, so I also use [just for fun]: Opera, Flock, Galeon, Firefox, Dillo, Epiphany, Midori, ELinks, Konqueror, and numerous others. :)

bodhi.zazen
February 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Moved to the cafe.

The "party line" is linux offer choice, try 'em out and use what you like, they all have advantages and disadvantages.

SplinterOfChaos
February 19th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I'd be using Chromium if I were reading this from my Windows partition. It's faster, safer, and thread-safe (in the sense threads are providing safety). Last I hear, they were making progress on the Linux port, too!

Then again, I still use Firefox in Windows sometimes because Chromium can't do everything.

scorchgeek
February 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I generally use Firefox but find SeaMonkey to also be a solid browser, as well as including other internet apps like email.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Firefox is great, seamonkeys great too. I think seamonkey is more of what firefox was supposed to be than firefox ended up being. Did that make sense?

wildman4god
February 19th, 2009, 01:09 AM
currently in ubuntu I use firefox, but in windows xp I use google chrome, execpt now and then when I need the add-ons of fire fox, but for general web surfing chrome is lighting compared to firefox, also chrome 2 is in pre beta and it is supposed to support extentions and scripts including greasemonkey, and the are making the linux port in gtk+.

Tibuda
February 19th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I use Epiphany as it is lighter than Firefox. But I still use Firefox in Windows, and in Linux when I need to debug JavaScript (with Firebug extension).

Dekkon
February 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Exactly my thoughts, Google is one of the main companies behind Mozilla, why they just didn't improve Firefox is way beyond me. Even if the developers at Mozilla didn't agree with some of there decisions, even though who couldn't agree with per tab process, they could easily extend it themselves, it's open source for a reason.

Duplicates are not needed, open-source should be about developers working together, not apart.

Vorian Grey
February 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Seamonkey and Konqueror are my two favorite Linux browsers. In Windows, I love Chrome.

mikeize
February 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm stuck with firefox, since I use and love so many extensions for it. Lately, I've been craving something faster, but so far I'm not willing to sacrifice all the utility firefox offers.

N4zgu1
February 19th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I usually use firefox, but i have been trying chrome too, its good but it still needs improvements.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Exactly my thoughts, Google is one of the main companies behind Mozilla, why they just didn't improve Firefox is way beyond me. Even if the developers at Mozilla didn't agree with some of there decisions, even though who couldn't agree with per tab process, they could easily extend it themselves, it's open source for a reason.

Duplicates are not needed, open-source should be about developers working together, not apart.

The goal of the project was to build a better browser from scratch starting from the bottom up. I think they've done a fine job so far, and can't wait till it is finished.

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Opera FTW!

smartboyathome
February 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I'm using Opera right now, mainly to see how good it is. I normally use Firefox, but am trying to get myself to stick with Opera for a while.

chucky chuckaluck
February 19th, 2009, 04:11 AM
By the way, this thread should have been posted in the Cafe so it can be move to Recurring discussions :D

haha!

i used to use opera, but i realized the only thing i liked about it was the speed. i now use firefox with just tiny menu and adblock plus and i've got one toolbar with everything i need on it (with opera, the toolbars took up at least 10% of the browser, unless i used the ugliest theme possible).

cardinals_fan
February 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I use links -g. It displays text and images with no cruft.

When I need to use an interactive site such as Google Maps or something with Flash/Java, I use Firefox for compatibility or Midori for speed.

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Has anybody used arora?

mamamia88
February 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
firefox is kind of slow compared to opera and epiphany but i love my addons

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I was browsing with the xorg browser the other day I can't remember the name off hand, but it reminded me of the 80s so much 3W3 maybe, or w3w something like that

Rokurosv
February 19th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I mainly use Firefox on Linux, sometimes I use Midori for a quick browse or to check my feeds. On Windows I browse Chrome. Still waiting for the Linux version..........

octesian
February 19th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I want to try Chrome but theres no linux version yet. (I don't want to run it in wine either). I can't stand IE, I have to use it at work :/ Firefox is great but sluggish, Kazehakase feels about the same, though to be fair, my internet connection is really crappy.

liamnixon
February 19th, 2009, 05:33 AM
No love for Dillo? I use it on my older PC for basic browsing. Then again, about the only time I use flash or any other who-sits are for my hybrid and fully online classes.

SplinterOfChaos
February 19th, 2009, 05:38 AM
The goal of the project was to build a better browser from scratch starting from the bottom up. I think they've done a fine job so far, and can't wait till it is finished.

Yes. If they had just extended FF, but the FF guys didn't agree with Google, they couldn't have distributed it. They'd have had to branch off anyway. I think just making it ground up themselves was a smart strategic move to point out how to improve FF practically, not theoretically. (I hope you've exhausted a grain of salt for this paragraph.)

Besides, competition is good; Google knows this. Look at how many different browsers have been mentioned in this thread. What if the developers of them (except IE) had just said "let's simply extend Firefox"?

gymophett
February 19th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I use Firefox. It's amazing :]

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I mostly use elinks, but when I need to do anything with graphical browsing I use Conkeror (http://conkeror.org/) or Vimperator (Firefox with a GREAT Add-On) depending on what system I'm using at the time...

EDIT:

I was browsing with the xorg browser the other day I can't remember the name off hand, but it reminded me of the 80s so much 3W3 maybe, or w3w something like that
w3m is the program... :D

Warpnow
February 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Firefox's slight nuances weren't its problem...it was the engine it was based off of and its most basic parts. You couldn't "extent" firefox to be chrome, because in large part chrome is is the exact opposite of that, a retraction.

Skripka
February 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Has anybody used arora?

Yep. IME, Flash doesn't work at all in it.

I use Konqueror-the ONLY native 64-bit Qt4 browser out there that works somewhat with Flash. I'd use Opera-but only after they issue a 64-bit Qt4 build.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
w3m is the program... :D
That's it. It reminded me of Q-Link on the old C=64

gnomeuser
February 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I use Epiphany, but I suspect that once Chromium has a decently supported version that runs x86_64 Linux I will be switching to that simply because development is likely going to be more active.

I loath Firefox like the plague, I hate pretty much everything about it. The only reason I have anything even remotely related to it installed is that epiphany's webkit port still isn't sufficiently stable. It is slow, bloated, unsafe, poorly integrated and proud of it.

Chilli Bob
February 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I use SeaMonkey. Faster than Firefox, and YouTube doesn't crash as often.

Firefox on Windows though. Haven't tried Chromium yet.

listerdl
February 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I loath Firefox like the plague, I hate pretty much everything about it.

How come?

TalioGladius
February 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
You can't beat firefag with all the plugins, whizbangs, and whistles.

chucky chuckaluck
February 19th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Has anybody used arora?

yup. not too bad, but i don't get the fascination with webkit.

fistfullofroses
February 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Chrome and Firefox are completely and totally different from one another. The use separate HTML randering engines, and share no code. Also there are more serious differences between Firefox and Chrome. Chrome has a completely new JavaScript engine, among several other things that set it apart. One of the key innovations for Chrome was also having each tab use its own process. Look into rendering engines a bit.

Most browsers for Windows use Trident, Gecko is the main competitor (firefox and several other browsers use this one). Presto is used on the Nintendo DS, Opera, Dreamweaver, and Adobe Creative. WebKit is up-and-coming and is used in Safari, Midori, Chrome and many others now. Webkit is based upon KHTML, which is used in Konqueror (KDE). Cobra is a good engine written in Java, and is used in the Lobo web browser, and as far as I know has seen some embedded use (Palm OS uses a modified version in Blazer IIRC).

gnomeuser
February 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
How come?

http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2008/12/30/on-firefox-as-the-free-software-mascot/
http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/why-i-cant-wait-for-google-chrome-for-linux/
http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2007/12/28/firefox-3/
http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/re-linux-matters/
http://davidnielsen.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/right-on-nicu/

Oh.. and also the shipping 3.0 for Linux with a horrible usability crippling fsync bug and claiming "that's just fine.." followed by their claim that using system libraries was the root of all evil and not at all a cumbersome security issue for distros to handle.

Aenoble
February 20th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I'd be using Chromium if I were reading this from my Windows partition. It's faster, safer, and thread-safe (in the sense threads are providing safety).

I'm using Chrome for those reasons. On Linux I use both Opera and Firefox.

Rucas
February 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Have both Firefox and Opera, but im using Opera has my main browser. Just love it.

docus
February 22nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
First post!

I'm a recent convert to Ubuntu and the weird and wonderful world of Linux web browsers. I previously used Netscape and then Internet Explorer on Windows.

I tried Firefox first (bundled with Ubuntu) and found it very easy to use but quite buggy on my system (Thinkpad T60). Then I tried Epiphany but it seemed slow and lacking in features to me. So now I've switched to Opera. I'm finding Opera fast and efficient, but the interface is a little less intuitive to me than Firefox - I'm still getting to know my way around it. But I'll give it time - at least until Google Chrome gets ported to Linux...

CrazyArcher
February 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Opera all the way.

Barrucadu
February 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I use Opera because I prefer the way it renders pages to Firefox.

maybeway36
February 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
I use Konqueror sometimes :)

ikisham
February 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I want to install Dillo 2.0

http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/

I've got a less than a week old Hardy 8.04.2 install with all updates. Should I choose the etch.deb or the lenny.deb package?

I'm just a normal user but Firefox got all that hype since we're all sooo tired of that f***ing IE that we went to what could replace it. But it's support, for instance, doesn't level its popularity.
In Windows2000 I've used (and it's there if I need to go) K-meleon. Gecko engine, lot of search features, completely configurable, everything has a command (unlike FF that seem to think 'they' know better than the user himself). I never missed any FF extensions since K-meleon just work so well. I'm grateful for FF though but wouldn't use it in Windows.
Opera looked great when I tried but in the ad-block feature it's difficult to surpass Adblock Plus so I stuck with FF.

doorknob60
February 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I use Konqueror, but Firefox, Seamonkey, and Opera are all good too. ikisham: I'd compile it, but Lenny would be the better choice of the two. Should work fine.

hoboken
February 24th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Firefox is painfully slow and bloated (no browser should use 100mb ram for just a couple of tabs) but functionality/looks wise I haven't been able to find a substitute which I like enough to use permanently.

tomsa
February 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I pretty much use firefox, partially out of familiarity, and partially because I like the adblock extension so much. I use Opera for a few sites like facebook because it seems to work better- particularly the facebook photo uploader. I really miss adblock when I do use Opera- but I haven't really tried all that hard to find something that will accomplish the same feat in Opera. Oddly enough, I find Opera to be generally slower than Firefox, bu that might just be on my particular hardware. I also have elinks installed and I use it from time to time just for kicks- but I mainly have it installed just in case I seriously bung up my computer and can only get to a command line interface so that I can search for solutions to my problems. I've messed around with Konqueror a bit too, and I liked it- but I'm just not really into using KDE at the moment. I'd like to see what chrome has to offer, but I can't put it on my windows box at work, and I almost never use Windows at home, so I haven't tried it yet. I thought about compiling one of the daily builds for fun- but then I decided I'd like my wife to continue talking to me and am waiting for the *nix version to hit with everyone else before I pass judgement on that one.

ikisham
February 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I use Konqueror, but Firefox, Seamonkey, and Opera are all good too. ikisham: I'd compile it, but Lenny would be the better choice of the two. Should work fine.

Thank you, mate. I'm typing in Dillo 2 now. I'm not used to compiling but then I'll have a look and maybe try .

P.S. - This looks is certainly an experience...

ikisham
February 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I pretty much use firefox, partially out of familiarity, and partially because I like the adblock extension so much. I use Opera for a few sites like facebook because it seems to work better- particularly the facebook photo uploader. I really miss adblock when I do use Opera- but I haven't really tried all that hard to find something that will accomplish the same feat in Opera. Oddly enough, I find Opera to be generally slower than Firefox, bu that might just be on my particular hardware. I also have elinks installed and I use it from time to time just for kicks- but I mainly have it installed just in case I seriously bung up my computer and can only get to a command line interface so that I can search for solutions to my problems. I've messed around with Konqueror a bit too, and I liked it- but I'm just not really into using KDE at the moment. I'd like to see what chrome has to offer, but I can't put it on my windows box at work, and I almost never use Windows at home, so I haven't tried it yet. I thought about compiling one of the daily builds for fun- but then I decided I'd like my wife to continue talking to me and am waiting for the *nix version to hit with everyone else before I pass judgement on that one.

Idk if it works in Gutsy but the latest version of Opera has a, it seems, powerful ad-blocking built-in tool. But it hasn't the genius feature of Adblock Plus that rearranges the page so we don't even notice. How many of us took so long to realize that YouTube had ads (only if you visit it without ABP you can discover that)?

listerdl
February 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I like firefox due to the NOSCRIPT add-on which is great for security and foxmarks is awesome....