PDA

View Full Version : Well they got rid of other os talk...

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Still the buggiest web site on the internet. Nothing works the way it's supposed too. Was there supposed to be some sort of improvement? I'm sorry, but I liked other os talk, and spent a lot of time there. It might have been worth getting rid of, if it improved the performance of the forums, but I've seen no kind of improvement so far. If this forum is the face of Ubuntu, newcomers better put their beer goggles on.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
You can join the new Other OS Talk forum. See the link in my signature.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM

Thank you. I did, but it's just not the same for some reason, and it seems to be all for nothing.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Thank you. I did, but it's just not the same for some reason, and it seems to be all for nothing.
Suit yourself. Since they've taken down the Other OS Talk forum here at UF, we've decided to make it anew. Alot of the regulars from here are there, so I don't see how it is much different.

ticopelp
February 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Still the buggiest web site on the internet.

Obviously you've never been to the Rotten Tomatoes forums.

Twitch6000
February 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Obviously you've never been to the Rotten Tomatoes forums.

HAHAHAHAH that was a good laugh.

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
The Administrators have heard our complaints. No need to beat a dead horse. Join the new Other OS Talk if you wish, or some other forum. Or wait for the final verdict after the next Forum Council, for which Technoviking as kindly included Other OS Talk in the agenda (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda).

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
The Administrators have heard our complaints. No need to beat a dead horse. Join the new Other OS Talk if you wish, or some other forum. Or wait for the final verdict after the next Forum Council, for which Technoviking as kindly included Other OS Talk in the agenda (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncilAgenda).

This is a new topic. It's not "omg what did you do that for?" It's "omg why hasn't the forum performance improved?" Isn't the reason they made this move in the first place?

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I don't see how it is much different.

Well for starters it runs way to smoothly for it to be an Ubuntu subforum just seems unnatural :roll:

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM

Or mine, i have one too. i created it when i found out the other os talk was gone. Also this could get into a bad topic, a topic like this was closed recently for a lot of flames toward the staff. So i reccomend we just end the discussion and join either the forum he mentioned or mine. Honestly i don't care, but the staff really is working hard to get the Ubuntu Forums working again. After all this forum is running on one server only, meaning that usually a site this big would have around 5. When they get some donations or something or get the other server up and running, then most of these bugs will stop.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Or mine, i have one too. i created it when i found out the other os talk was gone. Also this could get into a bad topic, a topic like this was closed recently for a lot of flames toward the staff. So i reccomend we just end the discussion and join either the forum he mentioned or mine. Honestly i don't care, but the staff really is working hard to get the Ubuntu Forums working again. After all this forum is running on one server only, meaning that usually a site this big would have around 5. When they get some donations or something or get the other server up and running, then most of these bugs will stop.

The staff here seems to have leather necks. They take a lot of abuse most people wouldn't deal with. Kudos to them.

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
The staff here seems to have leather necks. They take a lot of abuse most people wouldn't deal with. Kudos to them.

Yeah they do, but they are humans (I think). So they can only take so much after a while.

Vorian Grey
February 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Or mine, i have one too. i created it when i found out the other os talk was gone. Also this could get into a bad topic, a topic like this was closed recently for a lot of flames toward the staff.
I think this closure hit a nerves. I don't think anybody could have even guessed things would have went over this way. When people get upset they say things.

No offense, but those other forums just ain't the same.

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I think this closure hit a nerves. I don't think anybody could have even guessed things would have went over this way. When people get upset they say things.

No offense, but those other forums just ain't the same.

I know, but it's just something i thought would be nice, oh well. In a few months the forum will be back anyways.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM
It is my hope that the use of the new Other OS Talk forum will attract more users in time.

Something that would help that cause, would be if we get some good reference material on it, so that we can link people to it when answering appropriate questions here.

I've managed to post a some links in the last 24 hours to both to the new OOST forum & to the Arch downgrade how-to.

Really, if we have some good reference material, it will get us more bookmarks.

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
This is a new topic. It's not "omg what did you do that for?" It's "omg why hasn't the forum performance improved?" Isn't the reason they made this move in the first place?
Remember, removing Other OS Talk was not the only maintenance they did, and they are probably continuing. They said they may not have to bring the Forums down again to finish this, but I wouldn't count on it. Maintaining databases such as the Forum is an extensive, time consuming job. We are running on one server, and the load here is still incredibly high and getting higher.

The thread still concerns Other OS Talk, despite the slight differences, and the performance issue was discussed heavily in previous threads over the past couple days.

It is my hope that the use of the new Other OS Talk forum will attract more users in time.

Something that would help that cause, would be if we get some good reference material on it, so that we can link people to it when answering appropriate questions here.

I've managed to post a some links in the last 24 hours to both to the new OOST forum & to the Arch downgrade how-to.

Really, if we have some good reference material, it will get us more bookmarks.
C!oud and myself (and probably some others) are doing the same. We have posted resource lists for FreeBSD and NetBSD and plan to do the same for OpenBSD.

Anyone is welcome to join over at the new Other OS Talk, not just old Other OS Talk regulars.

And again, just for good measure, there is no need to beat a dead horse around here. Cheers!

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Beating dead horses is a great way to relieve stress, It's almost as good as beating live horses.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Beating dead horses is a great way to relieve stress, It's almost as good as beating live horses.

:lolflag:

Or pink ponies!

I-75
February 19th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I registered and got activated with the email link . Every time I try to log in, it keeps saying "Hello There, Guest!"

handy
February 19th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I registered and got activated with the email link . Every time I try to log in, it keeps saying "Hello There, Guest!"

Do you have grubbn.org cookies blocked in your browser?

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 03:43 AM
:lolflag:

Or pink ponies!

lol

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 03:44 AM

I have this problem with the not pink ponies forum. I haven't been able to log in for months

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 03:45 AM

This might explain my problems with not pink ponies I have all cookies blocked on my browser

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM

No it's a recent problem that just popped up. There's a thread about this problem posted by sorivenul in the Other Os Talk forum so we are currently waiting for admins to address the issue.

I'm having this problem too, for existing members as long as you don't clear your cache you should be fine.

I-75
February 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Nope

-grubby
February 19th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I have all cookies blocked on my browser

Yeah, that might be a problem.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:02 AM

lol It's never caused a problem except that I could not log into omgpp. I never put 2 and 2 together.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 04:15 AM
We are running on one server, and the load here is still incredibly high and getting higher.

And April is right around the corner... New releases of Ubuntu always means a new influx of users registering, posting and always peaking the server.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM
And April is right around the corner... New releases of Ubuntu always means a new influx of users registering, posting and always peaking the server.

This is where Mark should come in, and say you know what, since Ubuntu is doing so well we should add some servers

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I thought of that myself, so I'm hoping that they get more issues resolved with the Forums prior to that time. From the way they were talking in the other threads it seems like the chances of getting another server to help with the load seem low, which in a situation like the influx of new users and problems is a problem in itself.

I-75
February 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Would it be possible to transfer this particular thread

Operating systems for really, really old computers

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

to the new Other OS?

There is a lot of good info there and it would be a shame to see it go away for good.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Problem solved. You should be proud, you have the only cookie on the entire internet that's allowed in my browser.

-grubby
February 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
For those of you having cookie issues: some nincompoop messed with the settings (Long story short: I edited the cookie fix by hand in vim, but MyBB didn't read that change, and the next time someone clicked "save settings" in the admin CP it reset it). All fixed now.

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Would it be possible to transfer this particular thread

Operating systems for really, really old computers

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

to the new Other OS?

There is a lot of good info there and it would be a shame to see it go away for good.
That should already be there, AFAIK.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 04:32 AM
This might explain my problems with not pink ponies I have all cookies blocked on my browser

I have mine set to ask me every time a site wants to set a cookie, to which I automatically select no & it is set to remember that always for the site (which doesn't always work). The more you use that system, after a while you find that you are only being asked about a cookie when you go to a new site.

When I can't login, like with grubbin.org, I just go & have a look at the list & delete the blocked site from the list, then next time I go to the site & I'm asked I say yes. Fixed.

handy
February 19th, 2009, 04:37 AM
This place is going to crumble when 25,000 people are hitting it re. the new release.

Hmm, no wonder the admin's are getting ruthless with their forum cutting, they are scared of what the coming future is going to bring.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Well, I can understand their bold move to stop any hazardous activity on these forums for the sake of keeping it up, so we should just stop the whining about keeping Other OS talk here (I am sure that most of us have) and continue to keep pushing users/activity towards the new forum, to help this great community (Ubuntu Forums).

I-75
February 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I was able to log in there with no problems now, thanks for fixing it. Thanks for providing a place for us to go.

kk0sse54
February 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Well, I can understand their bold move to stop any hazardous activity on these forums for the sake of keeping it up, so we should just stop the whining about keeping Other OS talk here (I am sure that most of us have) and continue to keep pushing users/activity towards the new forum, to help this great community (Ubuntu Forums).

+1 we should focus on expanding the user base of the new Other OS Talk and continuing being valid contributing members on the Ubuntu Forums.

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
+1 we should focus on expanding the user base of the new Other OS Talk and continuing being valid contributing members on the Ubuntu Forums.
Another +1.

wolfen69
February 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
so what's the address for the new other os talk?

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM
so what's the address for the new other os talk?
See my sig. ;) Hope to see you soon!

handy
February 19th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Another +1.

The more good reference material we can have on the nOOST forum, the easier it will be for us to grow the user population, as we point people there when appropriate, whilst helping out here.

Win win as I see it.

Sorivenul
February 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM
nOOST
I think you just gave it an "official" name... :)

"Welcome to the nOOST Forum"
I like it.

I agree with the rest of your post, too. ;)

handy
February 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I think you just gave it an "official" name... :)

"Welcome to the nOOST Forum"
I like it.

I agree with the rest of your post, too. ;)

It looks ok, it at least has vowels which some bright spark may be able to make eye's out of for a graphic to symbolise the forum, it also has an element of speed, in a moving from the left to the right fashion, if only I could draw. :popcorn:

& last but not least it is quick to type. ;)

Brunellus
February 19th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Thread closed. If you have a problem with forum organization, take it up in the appropriate subforum. If you have a moderation problem, take it to the Res. Centre.