PDA

View Full Version : A Question to Those of You with Blogs and Websites

jimi_hendrix
February 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
out of sheer curiosity how many viewers do you get per month?

the main thing preventing me from making a blog or website is the fact that i would feel my efforts wasted if i didnt get a lot of viewers

dragos240
February 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM

the main thing preventing me from making a blog or website is the fact that i would feel my efforts wasted if i didnt get a lot of viewers

Honestly i don't have a counter, although i'm sure i could find one, but i'm guessing about 10 - 15 people per month, honestly i don't really make a big deal about it.

jimi_hendrix
February 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Honestly i don't have a counter, although i'm sure i could find one, but i'm guessing about 10 - 15 people per month, honestly i don't really make a big deal about it.

i am just a person that doesnt like wasted time :)

Dekkon
February 19th, 2009, 01:17 AM

Exact reason I never kept a blog going, unless you have decent content, which I didn't, probably won't get that many views, but if you have something to blog about, do it, cause I'm sure you'll get viewers, didn't take me very long to get comments on my first post that had something unique.

Linux, Gnome, KDE, Independent Developers probably will get far more views because they are blogging about something that directly affects you, upcoming features, bug fixes, exciting new technologies, is all something you would want to read, not about how your trip was to Hawaii, I don't care because you didn't invite me. :(

trepid666
February 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
OMG! Its Jimi Hendrix!!

Are you kidding? Jimi would get a million hits a day on his blog. Lol

leef
February 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I run a website about netbooks and the blog section gets about 50k unique visitors a month, the forums get about 200k a month and other sections get about 30k. The two main reasons that I think people choose (google choose) to come to that site was because, it was the first one about a popular netbook model, I put a lot of effort into getting any news first (if your first people will link to your article) or at least post it the same day that it came out and last but not least, I did a lot of search engine optimization (which included sef urls for most sections). The most important thing is to have a subject that people are interested in, I tried to make the site so that people could contribute content. The more people that get involved, the more pages you have which in turn attracts more people. You definitely have to have a lot of interest in the subject. Good luck with the site, if you decide to go ahead :D.

jerrrys
February 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
my wife has a website (janetjaesart). it would get 10 to 20 hits a month. a couple of months ago she started to get 100s of hits a month from all over the world. i checked into this and for reasons unexplained at the time, there are now some 50 other art sites promoting her website. this was later explained to us as being a common advertising practice. so for her, patience (about a year now) has paid off and maybe this will happen for you.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I have a genealogy website about my family. I'm surprised I get any visitors except immediate family. For what it is worth, here is a chart of my visitors and page views.

-grubby
February 19th, 2009, 02:31 AM
http://grubbn.org/webstats/ (and by the way, the 87 GB bandwidth usage in January was from someone who decided to upload an XP Iso to their userspace :|)

octesian
February 19th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I just have a website because I like to tinker with the technology (HTML, CSS, MySQL, PHP etc.) I don't really have anything to post about besides my private life which I like to keep private. So I don't care if no one's watching, at least I'm having fun. Also I lack follow-through, so if I ever get an urge to post about something, it usually dies within hours.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 19th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I just have a website because I like to tinker with the technology (HTML, CSS, MySQL, PHP etc.) I don't really have anything to post about besides my private life which I like to keep private. So I don't care if no one's watching, at least I'm having fun. Also I lack follow-through, so if I ever get an urge to post about something, it usually dies within hours.

That is why I have my family genealogy website. It is fun. I get to tinker with the tech. It is an opportunity to learn new things.

Joeb454
February 19th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I attached the month view of my blog stats (it's a wordpress blog)

I've had it for a while now, but still, it's all dependant on content. I posted about something in November, which got me 2,500 views in 1 day.

Also, that doesn't include syndicated views (i.e. Google Reader, Planet Ubuntu etc.)

FuturePilot
February 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Stats from my blog attached. It seems to be declining :(

Northsider
February 19th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I don't have many visitors to my website. I don't really care though, it is not my intention to get a lot of hits/visitors. I just like the idea of owning a piece of the internet and having a place to show my pictures.

orc_dragoon
February 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I get about 600 unique visitors per month.
1030 Total Visits
50,000 total hits

Pm me if you want my forum link.

jimi_hendrix
February 19th, 2009, 03:25 AM
OMG! Its Jimi Hendrix!!

Are you kidding? Jimi would get a million hits a day on his blog. Lol

yes but who would believe i am still alive with tupac in cuba...working on a new OS kernel with elvis who is in the amazon?

well i wouldnt care if i either

1) got enough visitors to think its worth it

2) got enough visitors and adds without making the webpage trash to pay for the hosting fee

orc_dragoon
February 19th, 2009, 03:33 AM
yes but who would believe i am still alive with tupac in cuba...working on a new OS kernel with elvis who is in the amazon?

Lol Nice, Whats it called?

jimi_hendrix
February 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Voodoo Child is the current code name...disclosing the official name may jepordize agents in the field

jpeddicord
February 19th, 2009, 04:40 AM
My own blog really only gets any hits at all when I post on the Planet. I don't really care, because if I really have something to say I'll just post it there, ignoring statistics.

FOSSwire, on the other hand, started out with really slow statistics. One of the attached images is stats from Jan 07, the fourth month in operation. We've obviously found our niche now with tutorials - now it gets anywhere from 50k to 100k unique visitors per month.

If you're really wanting people to read your blog, make sure to post about something they'll actually care about. Half of the time I'll be nearly done with a new article, but I'll scrap it a few minutes later because it was boring. If it's a personal blog, find a way to put a spin on things: throw some humor into your posts, take a different view.

If it's not and you want to shoot for stats, try to find someone else to review your posts before you publish. Having a team of two or four people makes the whole process go a lot faster and others are able to post when you don't have the time. I've had a bunch of "great ideas" for a few websites but others have shown me why those ideas weren't very great after all. Even if it's just a coworker or classmate (or here on the forums) always ask someone about ideas and postings. You will save a lot of time and embarrassment in the end. (Here's an example of one of my "stellar" ideas: http://is.gd/iPG1 - thankfully never published that one. :D)

macogw
February 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
6,000 - 20,000 visits per month. 7,000 - 27,000 page views per month.

jimi_hendrix
February 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
thanks for all the replies

my idea was to write about all the stuff that took me forever to find out about linux and programming and such...and then i would let others write their own articles

Nevon
February 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I get around 20 unique hits per day. But it's just a small personal website that I very rarely update, so I don't really care.

gnomeuser
February 19th, 2009, 01:38 PM
It strongly depends, when in period of high volume blogging I get a few thousand hits a day, it quickly fades to near nothing though if I am inactive for some time. I am helped by being on a few planets (Planet Fedora most prominently) and giving regular abuse to Mozilla over the pain they subject me to via Firefox also tends to get me cited in their development posts a lot.

The number one post on my blog is still the nouveau pledge drive posting, which got major media attention and as a result got me hits in the high hundred thousands for a few weeks.

I blog for my own benefit, when I have something on my mind, so i don't really care much about hit counts. I value comments much more, I love engaging in conversation around the ideas I post.

trepid666
February 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM

well i wouldnt care if i either

1) got enough visitors to think its worth it

2) got enough visitors and adds without making the webpage trash to pay for the hosting fee

Lol thats great!

koenn
February 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
the free web stat counter use stops at 20,000 page views each month, and my web site usually reaches that limit around the 20th of the month, so I assume it gets about 30,000 views/month.

it started as training material to learn how web sites work (html, xhtml,css,seo, a few bits of javascript ...), and then became a place where mostly i kept notes of computer and network stuff.

Mazza558
February 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Around 96,000 a month for one blog I own.

Having said that, it's cheating, as it serves a small tech community who were in dire need of a blog.

hellz99
February 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I started a blog for myself. I'm a programmer and wanted to document certain things I'd find across my projects. I figured I'd go the blog route since I'd be learning something new with what.

Naiki Muliaina
March 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Less than 50 for the first few months, then for some reason shot up when i wrote a post about something quite trivial. It must have just gotten picked up on a google search. It jumped again when i wrote a shoutcast guide, and again always jumps when i do something about a popular MMO. Some days i get less than 50, other days i get close 1,000. All depends on what ive written realy.

Nepherte
March 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
I get about 1500 unique visitors a month. It's a simple blog about linux stuff that keeps me busy at the time of writing.

sanderella
March 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM
My website is designed for people with the same interests as me, so it gets few hits. I'm not bothered about getting lots of traffic, more about reaching the right people. :KS

jimi_hendrix
March 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
thanks for the bump :)

chris200x9
March 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
I run a blog with very few posts it's mainly about stuff that pisses me off/how great I am....I get about 30 views a month *shameless plug* www.everybodybutmesucks.sitesareus.org :D

Martje_001
March 1st, 2009, 06:53 PM
I've got an average of 50 a day. It's getting more though!

tazz4vr
March 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
My personal blog gets about 15-20 month, minus known viewers. My two websites, one personal which is about 5 per month and the other which is business is about 5-7 per month. However for the business site, just recently started the advertising, so hopefully will get some hits to it.

PythonPower
March 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
My forum gets about 3,000-5,000 views monthly (note these views are not unique; many people are regulars). Site maintenance is going on at the moment but our statistics page (http://silicon.appspot.com/stats) is somewhat interesting...

I've been meaning to express the data as a cumulative frequency graph but I'm busy...