PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black Screen After Login

dfguero
February 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
At school my Computer Maintanence teacher told me that I could install Ubuntu on a PC, to show other less experienced students a view of Linux. Well, it's an old Dell GX260, the specs I remember are as follows:

IDE 20GB Maxtor HDD
Integrated Graphics
2.4GHz P4 HT

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 (Live CD) from the same CD used to install Ubuntu on my desktop at home (ruling out CD problems). I chose "Guided Install" and chose to occupy the whole hard drive. I set the username and the password to "atc" (without quotes). I also set it to login automatically.

When Ubuntu finally rebooted, it showed the Ubuntu "orange bar" screen, then a tan orange screen with the cursor in the middle, then the screen goes black with the cursor in the middle still. In this last screen, I can move the cursor, but the keyboard does not respond (Num Lock does not respond). The mouse is USB, the keyboard is PS/2.

I have tried several things:

Through terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) I can still login (It appears so).
Through "Recovery Mode" I apperently fixed xserver.
I tried the solution over at Zolved (http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/28392/How_to_solve_Login_problems_in_Ubuntu)

But nothing works. I left the PC reinstalling Ubuntu with everything unchanged but the login automatically option (It may be it), hopefully tomorrow it works.

Another note, the PC is not connected to any network, since the School District does not allow any PC other then XP Pro with Deepfreeze on their network. I mean, if I did connect it, the internet would work, but my teacher may get in trouble. I know that the internet on Ubuntu will work because I ran the Live CD on a PC hooked to network and Firefox connected to the internet.

Please, tell me ALL the possible solutions, since I won't be able to test them until tomorrow, and I'm only in that class for 2 hours. Thank you for helping.