PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] newbie help

firebird79
February 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Hi. I'm here to ask for some help. i have always wanted to learn about linux but was afraid of installing it on my computer for fears of messing it up. recently my friend gave me a computer and i decided to install linux on it. i tried installing red hat because i got it from a disk at school but i couldnt get it to work. My friend from school suggeted i try ubuntu.

is there anything i should know before i download ubuntu and make a cd to install on my new computer?

i dont have the exact specs for the computer my friend gave me, but it was running windows xp so i guess it has at least 1GB of RAM.

please help me here, i am an average computer user trying to learn linux. thanks

binbash
February 18th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Just put the cd into dvd/cdrom, it is easier than installing windows xp

chakoshi
February 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hi
first download the latest (8.10) ubuntu desktop edition, its a bootable live CD, you can use it with no effort! then if you want to install it and if you want to keep XP working along the new ubuntu (I mean if you want to have a multi-boot system), I suggest to try the ubuntu windows installer; in windows run the ubuntu CD, an application pops up and prompt you if you want to install ubuntu by "wubi" in windows, in this way you have a multi boot system that you can uninstall ubuntu from windows add/remove! the real advantage of this method is that there's no risk of losing data or erasing your windows partition.

howefield
is there anything i should know before i download ubuntu and make a cd to install on my new computer?

i dont have the exact specs for the computer my friend gave me, but it was running windows xp so i guess it has at least 1GB of RAM.

Congrats on wanting to learn.

You really want to know the specs of the machine as this may help you decide which version of Ubuntu to download.

Some older machines may have as little as 256 megs of ram and will run xp fairly happily, is xp still on the machine, can you find out what the specs are ?

firebird79
what about the partitions? i had a lot of problems with red hat because of that. or does the installer do it for me?

thanks

InspiredIndividual
February 18th, 2009, 09:42 PM
It depends on what kind of system you want to run. If you do not want to run a dual boot system (that is, have both Windows and Ubuntu installed simultaneously), you can just let the installer do the partitioning for you.

EDIT: If you do want to run a dual boot system, this link was very useful for me: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning
W
hen I first switched to Ubuntu, I wanted a dual boot install so I'd be able to fall back on something I knew (Windows) in case I would mess things up. So I understand that fear! Now, I can count the number of times I booted into Windows on the fingers of a hand. None of them were because things didn't work out in Ubuntu. I hope you'll have similar success! In my humble opinion these forums are quite excellent as well. I strongly prefer them to any commercial helpdesk I ever encountered.

firebird79
February 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
no i kinda erased windows with the installation of red hat. i didnt think red hat would give me so much trouble.

firebird79
February 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
ok so all i have to do is download ubuntu onto my computer, burn it on a disc, and then use that disk to install it on my other computer?

InspiredIndividual
February 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Yes, that's basically it. When the installer asks you for a method of partitioning, just select the Guided install. Thus, the installer will handle everything for you. Also, when you pop the LiveCD into your computer first, you'll get to a menu. There, you can choose for example to install or to try Ubuntu without changes to your computer. If I were you, I'd try Ubuntu without changes first. It will proceed to load Ubuntu, though it's a bit slow (because CD's are slow). This will enable you to use your computer while Ubuntu is installing. If you've internet, you can even ask questions here while installing in case anything doesn't behave as it should.

firebird79
February 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
unforunately i'm at work right now, but i'll try this as soon as i get home. cant wait! :) if i have any questions i'll sure give ya a call. thanks a lot. ya been a lot of help. :) i appreciate it.

one last thing, does it take long to download ubuntu? i have cable

howefield
February 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
unforunately i'm at work right now, but i'll try this as soon as i get home. cant wait! :) if i have any questions i'll sure give ya a call. thanks a lot. ya been a lot of help. :) i appreciate it.

one last thing, does it take long to download ubuntu? i have cable

What download speed are you paying for ?

On my 2 megabyte ADSL connection, it takes about 45 minutes.

InspiredIndividual
February 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Ubuntu is almost 700MB, so you can easily calculate how long it will take. I'm no expert on cable speeds, so I can't really give a good estimate...

Good luck and welcome aboard!