PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install build-essential?

dvryan
February 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm trying to find/install the 'build-essential' development package for ubuntu 7.04.

1) I tried sudo apt-et install build-essential, and it said it couldn't find the package. How do I search for it, and if I don't have it, where can I find it online?

2) are there any other packages I'd need to install ndiswrapper?

oldos2er
February 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Ubuntu 7.04 reached its end of life Oct.2008. You might want to consider moving up to 7.10 or a newer release.

dvryan
February 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
how would I do that? Do I have to uninstall my current version, or can I simply download a patch?

Therion
February 18th, 2009, 09:39 PM
how would I do that? Do I have to uninstall my current version, or can I simply download a patch?
Go to your Software Sources menu and make sure the button for Release Updgrade says "Normal Releases", see this pic (the menu is down at the bottom):

http://reformedmusings.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/software-sources1.png

Click on "Close", "Reload" and see if you don't get a prompt about being able to update your distro. I dunno how that's gonna work since you're on such an old version, but this is the safest way I know of if you don't want to do a clean install... Which is what I would HIGHLY recommend you do instead.

dvryan
February 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'm fine with a clean install, as long as I don't mess everything up- I'm running XP and Ubuntu 7.04 on my PC, and I just don't want to mess up the XP partition. How would the clean install work? Would I uninstall 7.04 first? If so, would that mess up my partition and boot sequence?

Shazaam
February 19th, 2009, 01:03 AM
+1 for an upgrade.
If you INSIST on using 7.04 here are two ways to install build-essential...
1. Add your Ubuntu 7.04 livecd to Synaptic (along with adding the Universe and Multiverse repo's) then search for build-essential.
2. Run this in terminal (after adding the above repo's in Synaptic)...

sudo apt-get install build-essential
For your second post...
There are many ways to upgrade (here are a few in semi-order of difficulty)...
1. Do it as Therion suggested.
2. During the partitioning phase of a fresh Ubuntu 8.10 livecd install choose "Guided-resize... " (first choice).
3. Use the Partition Editor (gparted) on the Ubuntu 8.10 livecd to manually shrink/resize the existing partitions, then do a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 on the unallocated space (by choosing "Manual" during the partitioning phase).
4. Use a Ubuntu 8.10 livecd (as in #3) to delete the 7.04 partition; create an Extended partition in the unallocated space; then install Ubuntu 8.10 INSIDE of the Extended partition (choosing "Manual" once again). This gets around the 4 Primary partition limit.
If you do decide to shrink/resize the Windows partition make sure you defragment Windows first (preferably in Windows "Safe Mode").