PDA

View Full Version : What e-mail service do you use?

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 03:33 AM
I like gmail. I have 477 e-mails stored and it says:

You are currently using 7 MB (0%) of your 2676 MB.

AndyW
December 23rd, 2005, 03:44 AM
I use gmail as well. Its great.

Hobbsee
December 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM
I use gmail, and fastmail - www.fastmail.fm

I use the free one, and it works pretty well, as long as you dont need massive attachments - and it uses IMAP instead of POP3 - awesome when you have multiple computers accessing the same mail account!

alamba
December 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM
I run my own server with postfix. Currently run it on pop3 though trying to set it up for IMAP.

Rinzwind
December 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM
I am using @gmail.com for registering with forums etc.
I use @home.nl for private usages (friends and family)

And from today @vodafone.nl :P Dunno how to arrange this one yet tho. Maybe I'll have my friends messages forward to my vodafone account :P

nocturn
December 23rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
I like gmail. I have 477 e-mails stored and it says:

You are currently using 7 MB (0%) of your 2676 MB.

I like Gmail for some things, but I never use it for any personal mails (even basic things like mails about websites etc). I do not trust any company that much, and the details about matching and storing mails on Gmail are not very clear.

curuxz
December 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
I run IMAP on my server (pop for legacy aswell) IMAP kicks ass all my email accounts, groupware system and email clients all know which emails have been read, sent, recived etc I dont have to keep marking old messages as read when I move from pc to pc (like in pop)

Gmail sucks, its just so google can read your emails.

kabus
December 23rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Gmail sucks, its just so google can read your emails.

Every e-mail provider can read your mails if you don't use encryption.

betamax
December 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Just started using Gmail, also been using Bluebottle.com for a while now.

sapo
December 23rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Gmail

You are currently using 1251 MB (47%) of your 2677 MB.

curuxz
December 23rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
What i ment is that google want you to keep all your email saved so they have time to read it and use it for market data. Hence giving you massive inbox sizes.

Tho I agree, pgp is a must these days

sapo
December 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
I think that they would love to read my emails, 1.2GB of my email is pr0n :D

gabhla
December 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
G-Mail.

curuxz
December 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
lol how did you manage to get that much into your email box? ???? i dont even wana think about it

sapo
December 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
lol how did you manage to get that much into your email box? ???? i dont even wana think about it
Just sign up a pr0n mailing list :)

wondering_jew
December 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Generally I just use my university of wyoming student account. This year they switched to MS exchange server which made it all but unusable (can not set it to filter out spam from the inbox even though the university automatically marks incoming junk mail as such by adding [SPAM-H] to the subject line grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). Since they made the change I've used evolution to access my UW email so I don't have to put up with all the spam. (They made it easy enough to filter why didn't they take one step extra!?) I also found it bizarre that Thunderbird doesn't seem to support exchange accounts while Evolution has no problem.

curuxz
December 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Just sign up a pr0n mailing list :)

Some people *shakes head*

darth_vector
December 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
i use mailinator for many a thing :)

http://www.mailinator.com/mailinator/index.jsp

its great, but a lot of people dont accept their addresses any more.

Natsuki
December 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
I use gmail but i'm not really happy with that things about maybe unsafe yada, yada, yada

linbetwin
December 23rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
I have 3 gmail account, 3 yahoo accounts, 1 hotmail account and one from my ISP.

I rarely use the account from my ISP and I never use hotmal (2 MB, lol! I don't know why I signed up for it).

I use the gmail accounts to backup up some files also. Did you know there is a Linux program that lets you use your gmail inbox as a remote filesystem? I forgot its name.

asimon
December 23rd, 2005, 02:32 PM
What i ment is that google want you to keep all your email saved so they have time to read it and use it for market data. Hence giving you massive inbox sizes.
Thank google most mail services nowadays have inbox sizes just as big. If they want your data, valid email adresses to illegally sell them, scan all emails for 'research' proposes, etc. they all can do it. I think it's unfair to single out google here.

99.999% of all emails are unencrypted, every one can read them. Here in Europe they are currently in the process to do adopt a law to be able to read and store all email (and other electronic communication) data for several month to years (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/meldung/67386&words=%DCberwachung). You know, we all can be terrorists, so better be save and keep all data. Mass surveillance is already a reality and it gets stronger and stronger every year. No matter what email service you use they can monitor your conversations, if they want. The only evasion is using strong cryptography, sadly pgp is not supported by default under Outlook (or the web interfaces of the various mail services) and at least most of my non-geek friends don't want to install extra software, configure it, and enter passphrases everytime they want to write or read an encrypted email. They value comfortability much more than secure communication. More joy for the govenments who all seem to want the glassy citizen.

Tho I agree, pgp is a must these days
Sadly for a must it get's very little usage (and AFAIK in some countries even illegal).

BTW, I too operate my own little dovecot imap server. The mails from my google account are regulary fetchmail'ed via google's pop interface. I very rarely use google's web interface to read or write mails.

majikstreet
December 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
gmail...with evolution :)

You are currently using 109 MB (4%) of your 2677 MB.

jc87
December 23rd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Gmail plus thunderbird

You are currently using 63 MB (2%) of your 2677 MB.

I use it for all purposes mail and also to keep some usefull stuff on drafts.

LoclynGrey
December 23rd, 2005, 10:57 PM
wouldnt a "poll" been better to get a good forum indication. :)

I use, gmail and local isp. Hotmail is only used for msn (gaim) but you know MS, they keep deleting all your hotmail emails if the account is not logged into within 30 days.

asimon
December 23rd, 2005, 11:23 PM
You are currently using 63 MB (2%) of your 2677 MB.

Blog of Martin Krafft: Who needs to delete? (http://blog.madduck.net/geek/2005.12.19-google-delete) :razz:

briancurtin
December 24th, 2005, 12:02 AM
i use my school's email (OWA/exchange in evolution) and gmail. i still have a yahoo account from a long time ago that i use basically as a spam account now

23meg
December 24th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I use my school's email and GMX (www.gmx.net) for normal mail, and gmail (via POP) for the junk. I'll abandon the school one since they seem to use a great MS technology that doesn't allow me to open archive attachments since "they may be harmful to my computer".

curtis
December 24th, 2005, 01:23 AM
My own of course :)
IMAP4 and SMTP server.
Though I do use 30gigs sometimes, for a lot of forums where using your company email isn't such a good idea.