PDA

View Full Version : Spy Camera / Mic in Digital Converter Boxes

Izek
February 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/hidden-spy-camera-mic-found-inside-digital-tv-box.html

Discuss

Dies
February 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
What a terrible site...

Really regret clicking that link. :(

OZFive
February 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I am not sure I can believe this guy here.

Could it happen....
I would not put it past someone to propose this on a corporate level as I am sure there are quite a bit of things they could do with data off a cam and mic but I cannot believe that they would actually ship with the camera and mic.

But.... who knows. It borders on the realm of reality.

In all reality....
What I REALLY think happened..... The guy wants advertising dollars. Wants links. Hits to his website. He installed these things himself. Look at the entire right side of his page, there are banners galore, most from the same person (the author?) He wants to cash in and he is going to do it with stuff like this. Sensationalism! Conspiricy! AND I HAVE THE PROOF!

Chain of Custody...
If he really wanted to prove to me that this was real, he would go into walmart camera running, pick up one of these units. NEVER taking the camera off the box. Take it to his car still running the camera and dismantle it right out of the box on camera so we could see a chain of custody type video where there was no chance to fake it. Use a higher resolution camera too.

Some points...
1) I did not see any wiring running to the camera (looked like one of those wireless mini cams to me from the spy shops).
2) The camera was placed at least half an inch from the face plate where the IR signal passes. That would make for some crappy video.
3) Was the entire face plate made of the same material that passes the IR signal? Most companies would only make the IR sensor area of that material and the rest regular plastic. No?
4) Would enough visible light pass through that kind of material that allows IR? I have seen this stuff before it is pretty dark.
5) The microphone did not look like a microphone to me, again the resolution on the video was too crappy.
6) Not sure the IR faceplate would be able to transmit sound well enough to the mic to be able to distinguish words.
7) Why place the microphone next to the cam, there is not reason to do so (aesthetics really do not enter the pic here encased in a box like that), would a better place be near a vent to catch better sound?

In conclusion...
Just my opinion, I do not condone being a mindless drone that would allow corporate greed and power to invade our lives to such an extent, but I will also not allow someone to make me alarmed and paranoid about what I consider a pretty good life and a decent enough country.

swoll1980
February 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Conveniently they left out the part of the video that shows them putting the camera, and mic in the box.

swoll1980
February 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Chain of Custody...
If he really wanted to prove to me that this was real, he would go into walmart camera running, pick up one of these units. NEVER taking the camera off the box. Take it to his car still running the camera and dismantle it right out of the box on camera so we could see a chain of custody type video where there was no chance to fake it. Use a higher resolution camera too.

Even then it could be edited to look like the camera never left the box. I would have to see some reporters go in buy them, and dismantle them on site to believe it, but I'm sure all our friends with the tin foil hats will lap this up.

Dr Small
February 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Whether to believe or not to believe. True of false, the best suggestion I have for you is to open your converter box and if you find a mic or camera, to cut the cables on it. That should prevent any transmissions from it.

jeyaganesh
February 19th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Is it possible for hackers or someone to record our voice through PC's in-built mic without our knowledge?

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Is it possible for hackers or someone to record our voice through PC's in-built mic without our knowledge?

Sure, and your camera, or anything else you have connected to you pc, even your usb missile launcher. In fact they could use the camera to target you, then shoot you with your own missile launcher

MikeTheC
February 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Even then it could be edited to look like the camera never left the box. I would have to see some reporters go in buy them, and dismantle them on site to believe it, but I'm sure all our friends with the tin foil hats will lap this up.

Problem with that is I wouldn't trust the reporters, or their bosses, or the TV station, and so on.

The ONLY way I would trust this is if I personally went to the various different outlets for this type of product and opened the thing myself.

Dr Small
February 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Problem with that is I wouldn't trust the reporters, or their bosses, or the TV station, and so on.

The ONLY way I would trust this is if I personally went to the various different outlets for this type of product and opened the thing myself.
What an excellent idea. I will be awaiting the results of your quest.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM

This would be the only way I would truly believe it as well, but I couldn't afford to buy them, and once you break the seal to take it apart you can't return it.

OZFive
February 24th, 2009, 07:30 AM
So it was faked.

Was anyone surprised?

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/02/dtv-converters.html

some_random_noob
February 24th, 2009, 07:55 AM
So it was faked.

Was anyone surprised?

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/02/dtv-converters.html

Oh well what a shame. Plenty of true conspiracies on Alex Jones' sites though. Can't wait for his new film.

Giant Speck
February 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sure, and your camera, or anything else you have connected to you pc, even your usb missile launcher. In fact they could use the camera to target you, then shoot you with your own missile launcher

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2007/346/3/d/_heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif