PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Sony frusterates me.

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 03:20 AM
I had a sony MP3 player before and the software stop recignizing it, so I took it back. My new one is now doing that, after a month.

Ok, heres the deal... Sony gives you two programs you can use to transfer songs to it. Sonicstage, a horrible bloated giant beast of a program (it makes transfering songs such a task) and MP3 File manager, a little program that is very limited.
(Oh, and they both are windows only. Another gripe.)

I did a clean install of windows 2000. I start the MP3 file manager. It tells me to reinstall it. I do. Same thing. I think, I wonder if In need to have sonicstage installed to use MP3 File manager. I get my sonicstage CD, and start an installation. It just stops, at 40%, and tells me it has been canceled. I didnt click anything to make it do so. I try it 3 more times. Same thing. Then I try to go onto the CD and just install the drivers. There are 4 drivers for the mp3 player, and none of them work.

I dont like sony. Neither should you. I am never buying another sony product again, ever. (Except headphones: They make good headphones).

Really, all they have to do is issue a firmware update making it work as a mass storage drive, and let us play songs transfered to it with a file manager. I e-mailed them and they said nothing was planned to do that. If iRiver, Creative, and Cowon can all do this why cant sony? :(

I e-mailed them again!

The sony software stopped working now. Great! WHY CANT YOU JUST LET US TRANSFER SONGS WITH A NORMAL FILE MANAGER? It would eliminate all the potential problems!

I know/hope there is an accual person reading this. I know you are told to reply with certain things, that basically dont help at all and are very generic. Please though, DO SOMETHING.

Here is what happened...

I did a clean installation of windows 2000. I start the MP3 file manager. It tells me to reinstall it. I do. Same thing. I think, I wonder if In need to have sonicstage installed to use MP3 File manager. I get my sonicstage CD, and start an installation. It just stops, at 40%, and tells me it has been canceled. I didnt click anything to make it do so. I try it 3 more times. Same thing. Then I try to go onto the CD and just install the drivers. There are 4 drivers for the mp3 player, and none of them work.

You do realise with all this stuff about sony installing a rootkit from DRMed CDs has already given you a really bad reputation. I can very easilly spread word around the internet about the many other faults with your products. You can very easilly loose, potentially thousands of customers. I payed good money for this product, and I EXPECT and DEMAND that it works.

You have an obligation to the customer. Thats me.

Now, couldent all this trouble just be solved if you would only do what I say?

towsonu2003
December 23rd, 2005, 06:15 AM
so does it run linux? ;)

poofyhairguy
December 23rd, 2005, 06:44 AM
I dont like sony. Neither should you.

I won't. Not after two PS2s turned into bricks from use ( and the whole rootkit thing.)

dosed150
December 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
havent they replaced sonicstage with their latest mp3 players of course it still wont work on linux , btw the latest iriver the h10 wont work on linux it doesnt use ums

Rinzwind
December 23rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
<..>
I dont like sony. Neither should you. I am never buying another sony product again, ever. (Except headphones: They make good headphones).<..>

Sennheiser! Better than Sony. So you can totally ditch them ;)

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 07:51 PM
I won't. Not after two PS2s turned into bricks from use ( and the whole rootkit thing.)

A couple years back my friends PS2 went crazy and the disc drive wouldent work :K

Sennheiser! Better than Sony. So you can totally ditch them

I had their head phones before. Good quality, but expensive. They also broke.

havent they replaced sonicstage with their latest mp3 players of course it still wont work on linux , btw the latest iriver the h10 wont work on linux it doesnt use ums

Nope. Same old stupid sonicstage. The most horrible piece of software ever written.

so does it run linux?

Windows only ;( You cant even choose linux as the OS you use when e-mailing them for support. (You need to give them info, like country and OS)

prizrak
December 23rd, 2005, 09:41 PM
You are lucky you got Sonic Stage, I got their MD player and it came with OpenMG Jukebox. That thing stopped installing on any of my machines as well. Worked on my dad's comp though, somehow.........
The reason they don't want to make their MP3 player into a mass storage device are twofold:
1) It is damn near impossible to enforce DRM outside of their own software.
2) They make mass storage devices themselves they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot.

My friend has a pretty cool thing. He got a Sandisk USB stick, and a Sandisk MP3 player extension for it. Basically you stick the USB thing into the player and it will play the MP3's straight off your USB key. Of course it will still work as a mass storage device :)

angkor
December 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
If you think SonicStage was bad...it gets even worse:

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2005/11/22/21h17m54s

Don't know what that company is thinking but this way it'll probably take them 120 years before they can compete with Apple in the mp3 player market.

angkor
December 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Nope. Same old stupid sonicstage. The most horrible piece of software ever written.

As I've linked to in my previous post, they did replace Sonicstage with Connect....

Connect doesn't work at all and you need to resort to SonicStage (replaced because it was a worthless piece of crap) to get your music on Sony's latest player, the NW-A3000.

:confused: :confused:

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
Ok, connect is worse. But sonicstage is still pretty horrible :P

1) It is damn near impossible to enforce DRM outside of their own software.
2) They make mass storage devices themselves they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot.

For 1, they should let us transfer normal MP3s, but need sonicstage for DRMed atrac3 crap.
For 2, you can already put data on it as a normal USB drive, you just cant play the music you put on it like that.

GreyFox503
December 23rd, 2005, 11:43 PM
That's too bad about your mp3 player. Is it supported with Windows 2000? (as opposed to XP) That's the only thing I can think of.

I'm not buying from Sony either. I have an iPod (4th gen, no video) which works pretty well, but its linux support is really just a hack. You can't just manage your music directly by browsing directories, you need a special program to sync it. The next music player I get, I'm going to be sure I can use it reliably under linux.

xequence
December 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM
It says it can run in 98, ME, 2000, or XP. Ive only used it in 2000.

JimmyJazz
December 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM
iPod. works in linux and looks sexy

prizrak
December 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM
iPod. works in linux and looks sexy
Good iPods are HDD based, which isn't good.... Nano breaks easily and shuffle don't even get me started on that. All in all I think that any player with a built in battery that is impossible to replace w/o having to crack it open is a horrible design.

darkoptix
December 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I have had the same issue with Sony and their mp3 players.
It started with their MD devices, which I had one. You have to use their openMG jukebox program to transfer files, and well it was **** compared to sonicstage as someone mentioned earlier.
Next, as a gift, I got one of their Mp3 players, which was better than the md, but also sucked. Sonicstage was a new program to me, and was a nightmare to use. I never got it. Still don't.

However, I did get it working in Linux through VMware, and it worked for me throughout the time I was not using windows.

However with all these new things coming up with sony. I really think I will never purchase a product from them again.

SteinbergerNate
July 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I agree. When I was in the market for some new headphones a few years ago, I went to All Pro Sound and compared some Sony headphones next to some Sennheisers and the difference was amazing.

darksidedude
July 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
have you ever tried to use the cursed "windows media player" i think windows 2000 has suport for 8? when they ended suport for windows 2000 i ended my cash flow to redmond:) but if you try syncing the files it should work, But i happen to have a phillips gogear so if it works good

good luck dude

Lord_Sin
July 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I second that, Sennehiser is way better!

I have bought headphones from Sony, but then I found out about Sennheiser and my world was a much sweeter one :)

The need for Sony to control what consumers can or can't do with their products is going to be the downfall of them!

Sony never again!

Nekiruhs
July 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ugh. Don't even get me started on how stupid I am. I let the best buy sales person talk me into a ZUNE! I bought a Zune, WTF was I thinking?

Sayers
July 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Sony hacked my friends server he has himself. When he took sony to court he lost because he was not a registered business but they did hack him

kostkon
July 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Ugh. Don't even get me started on how stupid I am. I let the best buy sales person talk me into a ZUNE! I bought a Zune, WTF was I thinking?

LOL!!

init1
July 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I have a PSP, and although it plays games fine, and renders 3D graphics quickly, it renders HTML VERY slowly. The brower feature is crap. IT IS SO SLOW! Even with pictures and flash disabled. And in addition, I can't view my files with out connecting it to a computer.