PDA

View Full Version : GPL stuffage

davbren
February 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
hey all. I am planning a range of apps. I was wondering what the legislation is regarding it.

I want to program is conforming to the GTK+ themes and the like. If I then sold my product/source. Would that be against the GPL?

cabalas
February 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Quick Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, take my advice at your own risk.

That being said there is nothing in the GPL which says that you cannot sell software licensed under it, I actually think there is something in there saying that you can sell GPL licensed software (not 100% sure on the last part). What you must do if you are selling GPL licensed software and providing customers with a binary is provide the customers with the source code or a way to get the source code of the software (including any modification you have made if it is an already existing product).

Remember the GPL is free as in speech not free as in beer.

Npl
February 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
sure you can offer your programm for money, you must provide the sources along with it tough. Which means that anyone that bought your program can compile it himself and then give it away for free.

nvteighen
February 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
GPL allows profit. Think of RedHat, which is a commercial GNU/Linux distro.

Commercial != Proprietary

What GPL prohibits is to charge an extra fee to exercise the rights given by the GPL: for example, if I developed proprietary program X for free but give the users the chance to pay for receive the GPL.