PDA

View Full Version : Dell Ubuntu Line-up Change

aaaantoine
February 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Looks like no Inspiron notebooks on sale today. Also the Studio notebook is missing.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

The XPS laptops are cool, yes, but a bit out of my price range.

notwen
February 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
That sucks, I really enjoy my Inspiron 1420n. The rate that they change models is so frequent, I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have. Hopefully they'll shift some of the newer Studios into the N-Series for the people looking to invest in budget machines running Ubuntu. You may wish to contact sales via phone to confirm what's actually available for the N-Series models.

Warpnow
February 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I wish they'd have some of the vostro line with ubuntu.

Kareeser
February 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe that's exactly what they're doing? :)

I liked the Inspiron series. In fact, I'm still using mine... 4 years, still going on strong.

NintendoTogepi
February 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Inspiron is going away? :( I still use my May 2005, 9300 as my main computer.

aaaantoine
February 19th, 2009, 04:39 AM
They must be in the process of updating the Inspirons. So says my wishful thinking.

The XPS's look great though, what with including 4GB RAM in even the base models.

mihai.ile
February 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
When they update stuff or a component is not available for the laptop, it just dissapears from the website for some days. Nothing to worry about. It happens all the time with xps m1330 in dell.co.uk/ubuntu

Now that we are talking about this I just wanted to say that I was trying to buy this XPS with ubuntu for some several months. It's just impossible if dell is not selling it in your country. So I had to buy the windows version from eBay, this way I could have the xps m1330 shipped to portugal, where I live right now. Didn't have time to install ubuntu on it yet but the machine is a bomb! (except for Vista that is killing the 500HDD even when idling...)

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I like how in configuration it says
"Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity software pre-installed" What do you call open office? Chopped liver?

ssam
February 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
UK line up has changed as well
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6750677

notwen
February 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
They must be in the process of updating the Inspirons. So says my wishful thinking.

The XPS's look great though, what with including 4GB RAM in even the base models.

I'm thinking they're replacing the Inspiron line w/ the Studio models, just a guess tho.