PDA

View Full Version : Computer Discontinuity

Izek
February 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I bought a DX4200-UB101A Gateway Computer not too long ago (a few months). But after a few weeks or so, the computer was no longer being sold, and was taken off the product pages of the Gateway Website (it's still in the support system).

After those weeks, they came out with a new DX Model that had nVIDIA Graphics instead of ATI, the nerve of Gateway!

I've also had no problems with Gateway machines--in fact, they were my favorites--until I bought this particular machine. The PS/2 Ports fried after about a month of use, and I can only use the USB Ports now for keyboard/mouse.

My grandmother was the one to buy me this machine though, but I have to slowly pay her off for it every month. So I await the day when I can get my own choice of computer rather than having to suddenly pick one off of the current moment, I was rushed because my grandmother was being stubborn and annoying as usual. But she only bought it because I was complaining about getting a new computer.

=============================

Now onto the good part. Can anyone recommend me a good and cheapish (under 1000 USD) Desktop Computer that has good nVIDIA Graphics and a 3+ GHz Duo/Quad Processor?

Or am I just hoping for a dream? I want to have these specific specifications because I plan to run the PCSX2 Emulator, which currently doesn't run on my current DX4200-UB101A machine very well. Mind you, it'll take me close to 6-12 or so months to round up enough money to buy a computer that's more than 1000 USD on my own.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly...

You want a suggestion on a decent sub-$1K tower NOW that will still be valid a year from now when, hopefully, you've scraped together enough cash from babysitting or mowing lawns or whatever, to actually buy one?

No, I don't need it now, since I still have my PS2, but in the future.

Read This Thread Before Suggesting Computers (http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2331.html)

jethro10
February 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I was rushed because my grandmother was being stubborn and annoying as usual.

And incredibly kind ?

J

Tews
February 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
and incredibly kind ?

J

+1

Instead of complaining how stubborn and annoying your gracious Grandmother is, why not go out and get a job so you can afford to purchase your own computer .. sheesh

JillSwift
February 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Now onto the good part. Can anyone recommend me a good and cheapish (under 1000 USD) Desktop Computer that has good nVIDIA Graphics and a 3+ GHz Duo/Quad Processor?

Or am I just hoping for a dream? I want to have these specific specifications because I plan to run the PCSX2 Emulator, which currently doesn't run on my current DX4200-UB101A machine very well. Mind you, it'll take me close to 6-12 or so months to round up enough money to buy a computer that's more than 1000 USD on my own.
The ZaReason Limbo (http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16183&cat=0&page=1) with an AMD Athalon 64 dual core at 3.0GHz with an nVidia 8600GT 256MB card is only 517 plus S+H...

Izek
February 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
And incredibly kind ?

J

Oh no you don't. You're going to play... POLE POSITION!

*cough*

Yeah, I guess she was kind enough to buy me the computer. But she only was buying it to get me to stop complaining.

oasmar1
February 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well if you were complaining, then how were you rushed? It seems as though this was not a sudden buy and you should have looked into a computer you wanted instead of just complain.

Now I am not sure if you want to, but you could build a computer - it is quite difficult if you have never changed a graphics card or added RAM - but you do get the advantage of choosing exactly what you want (from millions of different components rather than just a few selected by Dell etc.)

Therion
February 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Mind you, it'll take me close to 6-12 or so months to round up enough money to buy a computer that's more than 1000 USD on my own.

You want a suggestion on a decent sub-$1K tower NOW that will still be valid a year from now when, hopefully, you've scraped together enough cash from babysitting or mowing lawns or whatever, to actually buy one?

Izek
February 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well if you were complaining, then how were you rushed? It seems as though this was not a sudden buy and you should have looked into a computer you wanted instead of just complain.

Now I am not sure if you want to, but you could build a computer - it is quite difficult if you have never changed a graphics card or added RAM - but you do get the advantage of choosing exactly what you want (from millions of different components rather than just a few selected by Dell etc.)

I've tried switching cards, etc. before, but I've never installed a motherboard in my life, and I know how unbelievably hard it is for me to install a power supply. I've even made two of my RAM slots in my previous eMachines machine fry by installing RAM into it.

@JillSwift: With what I want, it would be upwards of 773 USD w/o shipping. but that's fine too.

No, I don't need it now, since I still have my PS2, but in the future.

Dragonbite
February 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I guess she was kind enough to buy me the computer. But she only was buying it to get me to stop complaining.

So does this mean another person has learned that whining and carrying on gets them their toys?!

Sad truth is when you buy a computer, don't keep looking at the advertisements because it gets depressing real fast when the prices come down and the power goes up and you're stuck with the one you bought (-er, I mean is bought for you).

Izek
February 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
yeah, I've learned that lesson, I guess. Anyway, to better facilitate... here's a thread about the recommended computer stuff to play the PCSX2.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2331.html