PDA

View Full Version : [other] poweredge 2400

barfy
February 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I am looking at deploying my first server using Ubuntu-server and a few questions come to mind.

1.) Will ubuntu recognize my hardware? and is my system powerful enough to handle it?

( poweredge 2400 with perc 2, 2 P-3 866 procs, 1 gig ram)

2.) Since I have not decided on what type of server to set up (e-mail, ECT. ) I was wondering if there are some basic configurations that I should do prior to my choice of server types, I.E. DCHP, DNS, as in windows server that will allow me the functionality while giving me time to figure out what to do with this machine? ( I am a server Ignorant since I have no idea what the heck I'm doing with this unit in the first place. built the darn thing from scrap taken from around 7 other scrap units.)

This is my first Personal server and I have yet to figure out the basics of deployment and use so Please bare with my ignorance. This is not a business unit but for home use only!

many thanks!!:D

barfy
February 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
wow! thanks for the timely help. seems like I misread the white pages about community help on this site. guess I'll check out some other form of linux for my server since no one hear seems to want to help a guy out.