PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get these themes to work?

daniel014
February 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Most of the themes I get from Gnome-look.org don't work very well and it says I need a 'GTK theme engine'.

How do I get this?

Thanks for your suggestions.

mcduck
February 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Depends on what GTK theme engine it needs.

If the error/warning message complains about missing a GTK engine but doesn't say what, you can just ignore the error. In this case it's not really missing anything and your theme will work fine without doing anything about it.

When it's actually able to tell what engine it's missing you can simply install the engine with Synaptic (if available in repositories) or by downloading the required engine from gnome-look.org.

sharathpaps
February 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi,
You can start by downloading and installing the Aurora GTK theme engine. That's what I did. Just follow this (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aurora+Gtk+Engine?content=56438) link. You'll find the instructions for installation in the description and the download button immediately after it. I had some trouble even with the instructions then because I was new to Linux entirely. But I figured it out eventually. If you have any trouble, just ask and I'll try and help you out.