PDA

View Full Version : My dog got skunked

swoll1980
February 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
#-o it's 24 degrees outside so I can't leave him out there. We did the baking soda, peroxide, dish soap thing, but he's still stinking up my house :( What the hell is a skunk doing outside when it's so cold?

hello_kitty
February 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
So, I take it you have already read this article, then: http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

Good luck!

Johnsie
February 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
lol, what happens if you get the peroxide in your hair?

sanderella
February 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Aaaah poor dog, and poor you. Can you put him in the garage with a few blankets? How long does it take for skunk odour to wear off?:D

lukjad
February 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Okay, just a question, did you try a tomato soup bath (for the dog)? I hear that helps with the smell. I also heard that vinegar can work, but it makes the hair turn pink sometimes.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Okay, just a question, did you try a tomato soup bath (for the dog)? I hear that helps with the smell. I also heard that vinegar can work, but it makes the hair turn pink sometimes.

I think tomato juice works better than tomato soup.

We used tomato juice on a dog once, and it really did help. Nothing but time will completely get rid of the smell, but tomato juice helps a lot.

jespdj
February 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
#-o it's 24 degrees outside so I can't leave him out there.
Why not? 24 degrees sounds nice and comfortable to me. I'd go outside in a T-shirt and eat an ice cream if it was 24 degrees. In fact, that's even warmer than it is in my living room right now. :D ;)

I think tomato juice works better than tomato soup.

We used tomato juice on a dog once, and it really did help. Nothing but time will completely get rid of the smell, but tomato juice helps a lot.
I think you should look at that Mythbusters episode where they tested things against skunk smell. One of the things they tried is bathing themselves in tomato juice. I did not really help to get the skunk smell off.

lukjad
February 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
forrestcupp is probably right about the tomato juice thing. I've never had this problem, so I'm only remebering things that I read in a book years ago.

tombott
February 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Why not? 24 degrees sounds nice and comfortable to me. I'd go outside in a T-shirt and eat an ice cream if it was 24 degrees. In fact, that's even warmer than it is in my living room right now. :D ;)

I imagine the OP means 24 Fahrenheit, us English and Americans still use this crazy measurement of temperature.
24F is about -4.5c.

swoll1980 - not sure I can help re the smell, don't even know what a Skunk smells like. Vinegar is pretty good at masking smells though.

aaaantoine
February 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I imagine the OP means 24 Fahrenheit, us English and Americans still use this crazy measurement of temperature.
24F is about -4.5c.

He should probably specify F or C considering this forum has a large international population. :)

tombott
February 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
He should probably specify F or C considering this forum has a large international population. :)
I'd have thought we are all intelligent enough to have worked it out though ;)

JackieChan
February 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Aww, poor dog.. lol
Sorry to hear that. But hey, it could have been worse, at least you weren't sprayed. ;)

Therion
February 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So which is worse:

Wet-Dog Smell or...

Skunked-Dog Smell?

This is one of those questions that keep me up at night, so your response is eagerly anticipated.

Have you tried FREEZING the dog? You know, that way maybe the stink will freeze as well and then you could just chip it off with a butter knife?
You know, kinda like using an ice cube to get chewing gum out of your kid's hair.

lukjad
February 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm sure the dog will LOVE that.

TalioGladius
February 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
lol

Poor puppy.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think you should look at that Mythbusters episode where they tested things against skunk smell. One of the things they tried is bathing themselves in tomato juice. I did not really help to get the skunk smell off.
Who are ya going to believe? A guy who watched Mythbusters and heard it doesn't work, or a guy who actually tried it on a dog and says that it does work?

But like I said earlier, nothing but time can totally eliminate the smell. But if something helps, it's probably better than doing nothing at all.

hask
February 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.doghouse-info.com/images/DogHouse.jpg :D

jespdj
February 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
24F is about -4.5c.
Did you really think I didn't know that? ;)

pelle.k
February 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
it's 24 degrees outside so I can't leave him out there
Erhm, -4C, cold? You crazy yanks. It's a dog, they have fur. My dog have no problems being out in -25C (I let him in when he "knocks" on the door though).
Maybe it's one of those small japanese dogs with almost no fur?

Did you really think I didn't know that? ;)
Good one :)

lukjad
February 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
pelle.k Well, I now know not to ask you to take care of my dog. :D

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I forgot I posted this last night. Update: Scrappy Doo is doing great! the deskunker recipe we used did a pretty good job. You can still smell it on his face around his eyes, but other than that he's good to go

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:50 AM
So which is worse:

Wet-Dog Smell or...

Skunked-Dog Smell?

This is one of those questions that keep me up at night, so your response is eagerly anticipated.

Have you tried FREEZING the dog? You know, that way maybe the stink will freeze as well and then you could just chip it off with a butter knife?
You know, kinda like using an ice cube to get chewing gum out of your kid's hair.

Skunked dog by far! When he was first sprayed he smelled like a combination of urine, and rotten meat

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Erhm, -4C, cold? You crazy yanks. It's a dog, they have fur. My dog have no problems being out in -25C (I let him in when he "knocks" on the door though).
Maybe it's one of those small japanese dogs with almost no fur?

Good one :)

Scrappy Doo is a black lab chow chow mix

blueshiftoverwatch
February 19th, 2009, 05:29 AM
#-o it's 24 degrees outside so I can't leave him out there.
When I first read the thread title I thought you said "Dad" instead of "dog". Which left me kinda bewildered as to why you would lock your Dad outside in 24 degree weather just to keep him from stinking up the house.

Maheriano
February 19th, 2009, 05:40 AM
-4 is cold? I wouldn't be able to get my dog to come in out of the snow if it was -4 outside. Throw him out there for an hour!

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM
-4 is cold? I wouldn't be able to get my dog to come in out of the snow if it was -4 outside. Throw him out there for an hour!

We had already had him out there for like 2 hours while we figured out what to do. As it was he was crying, and scratching at the door for an hour

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I forgot I posted this last night. Update: Scrappy Doo is doing great! the deskunker recipe we used did a pretty good job. You can still smell it on his face around his eyes, but other than that he's good to go

Aren't you going to tell us what recipe you used?

lukjad
February 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Please do!

pelle.k
February 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Scrappy Doo is doing great!
Love the name BTW! It kinda make me want to giggle a little.

swoll1980
February 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Aren't you going to tell us what recipe you used?

It's 32oz of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and a teaspoon of dish soap. The vet recommended this, and it works great.