PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is it time to go KDE4?

Ben Page
February 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM
K desktop environment 4.2 has been released, some of us tried it, most of us that have tried it, tried it by installing it in Ubuntu (I think this is a mistake if you want to see KDE really integrated and running natively). It was nothing special, it looked good, but performance was horrible, bugs were crawling all over it...but has that changed? I thought not, lousy nvidia support with 177 drivers.
But a week ago I have stumbled on Alpha 4 release of Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope, and guess what..? KDE 4.2 rocks!
I think that future came, that KDE finally is what it supposed to be. I am using 180.29 nvidia drivers (witch installed automatically at start-up by Kubuntus prompt) and the whole OS just works out the box with KDE4.2 Nightly neon shining strong and bright! Now after using Kubuntu when I boot Win7 and especially Gnome or XP, those OSes look like they are from ancient past. Off course, respect to the other DE in *buntu, but I think that KDE is now the best solution for newer hardware. Dolphin is just the best file manager at the moment.
What are your thoughts on this subject? Has KDE4 taken the lead in the DE "race" ?

maxexcloo
February 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I am using KDE 4.2 and love it.

It is fast and easy to use :D

SilvaRizla
February 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
^^^^^^ Same here, I love it

SeanHodges
February 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Using KDE4.2 on Intrepid, it's good stuff.

Darkshade
February 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Using KDE 4.2 on Intrepid and I'm totally in love with it!
It's definitely leading the race ;D

Vorian Grey
February 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
4.2 is looking extremely good, especially in Jaunty alpha 4. I am very impressed. I've been using Gnome for a couple of years now but it might be time to give KDE another try.

darksideforge
February 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm just starting to play with KDE. My Laptop isn't super-happy with it though. It might be because I have a bunch of Gnome stuff on it too. I might do a fresh install of Kubuntu and then try the Jaunty upgrade from there (I love parts of the Ubuntu Jaunty upgrade, other than the slowness).

Is there a particular forum dedicated to Kubuntu Jaunty? If so I haven't stumbled across it yet.

I'm just now starting to get into some UI design stuff and am wondering if Kubuntu would be better to run Emerald Decorator on than Ubuntu...those types of questions. Any suggestions?

gjoellee
February 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I use E17, but I have tried KDE 4.2 and it gives many features from the old KDE 3 back, so KDE 4.2 is easyer, faster and better to use.