PDA

View Full Version : If you dual boot, why did you?

gymophett
February 18th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10.
I use XP for gaming, and Ubuntu for music, videos, surfing, etc.
So XP=Gaming
Ubuntu=Everything else.
How about you?

handy
February 18th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Mac OSX is incredibly boring, but I need a little partition for my Apple firmware updates, for Crossover Games & Guild Wars as the Linux ATi drivers still suck by comparison & for my web authoring software which unfortunately has no equivalent the will run on Arch.

I spend most of my time in Arch on the iMac, as it is perfect for me, it has only what I want installed, ALL of the fonts are the size that I want them, I can control the look of everything, it is much faster than OSX & the list goes on...

I have another machine with drive drawers in it, it has multiple distro's & such that it can boot just by swapping a drawer out/in, it is primarily my test machine & web reference machine when needed, it also runs DVDShrink & NeroLinux when need be on whatever distro.

Rokurosv
February 18th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Well Linux is for me, and XP is for my family. My brother uses a lot of software that only runs on XP and my family is very used to using XP.

Grant A.
February 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM
I dual boot with Arch and Vista. I am currently trying to do everything in my power to remove Vista from my computer, but since I share it with my mom, it doesn't look like that is happening. :(

Chilli Bob
February 18th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I use XP for Movie Maker, and a online utility on geocaching.com that downloads waypoints to my GPS.

And Starcraft. That's about it.

smartboyathome
February 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I use XP for [snip] a online utility on geocaching.com that downloads waypoints to my GPS.

I do the same. I can't afford a premium membership right now, so I have to make do with that for Vista. I also use Vista for gaming. I don't dual boot Vista and Arch though, I run Arch on my laptop and Vista on my desktop.

Regnulify
February 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Need to run Visual Studio. .Net pays the bills.

konqueror7
February 18th, 2009, 05:01 AM
vista for gaming, ubuntu/fedora for everything else...

stmiller
February 18th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I multi-boot for the software. I like audio and video software in OS X (hackintosh). And I play a few games in Windows.

I use mac, windows, and linux fairly heavily- but mainly Linux. :)

jimrz
February 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM
one lousy app I sometimes need for work ... rest of the time all linux ... and fortunately do not need the one very often anymore at all (yet must still keep it available)

my window broke
February 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
not enough software runs under wine for me to make a complete switchover. I use ubuntu for nearly everything now, but if only microsoft wasn't so anti-linux and just let me use the program I bought.

CrazyDesi
February 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I use virtualization and Wine if that counts

swoll1980
February 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I use virtualization and Wine if that counts

WoW is the only reason I have a Windows partition. People say it runs in wine, but after about 40 hours of tinkering, and research, and tinkering some more, I could only get an unhuman 10 fps, so untill the get some kind of port to Linux, or wine, that does better than 1/3 my computers potential, I'll have to rely on Windows.

andrewpmk
February 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Because it feels stupid to delete Windows Vista which came with my laptop. I hardly ever use it, but I will likely need it at some point for some proprietary app.

theshibboleth
February 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu most of the time, but use Windows for games (in theory) and a Windows-only app that I need for school.

Foster Grant
February 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
So XP=Gaming
Ubuntu=Everything else.
How about you?

Vista: iTunes, DVD mastering and some games.
Kubuntu: Everything else.

bear54
February 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I use XP for games and Ubuntu 8.04 & Mepis 7.0 for everything else. I have tried Wine so I could kick XP to the curb but Wine just does not work well enough for me. Maybe in the future.
Eric:cool:

dabomb1022
February 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Well I use vista for things like visual basic/ iTunes and other non-Linux stuff
I like ubuntu for everything else

Mohamedzv2
February 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I use XP for wireless internet and C4D.

I'll use Ubuntu when I find my internet wires

conehead77
February 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM
VPN is shaky with Ubuntu but stable with Windows, so i cant use a VM to do a part of my work.

Bart_D
February 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Reasons:
-MS Office NEEDED because ACCESS is light years ahead of Open Office Base
-iPod usage
-waiting for price of HP C4880X(forget the exact name) to drop

Northsider
February 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
When I am just surfing I use linux. when I want to play games, use dreamweaver, ArcGIS, or any other windows-only programs I go to windows. Also, if something gets majorly f-ed up (not uncommon with linux) I can just scoot back to windows until I fix the problem

cbtengr
February 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
With XP to use CAD programs, Vectorworks & Autocad.

Stalker72
February 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
So XP=Gaming
Ubuntu=Everything else.
How about you?
Exactly the same for me. ;)

Stalker72

FraggedLocust
February 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well I have windows for school/work, but I've been using Ubuntu steadily thus far. My laptop isn't anywhere near a gaming laptop, so i usually use it for just surfing and stuff anyway.

I've installed and uninstalled Ubuntu half a dozen times, but now I'm committing to using it as much as I can. So far I haven't booted to windows in three weeks. It's given me minor problems, mostly just small functionality issues.

The other reason I'm using Ubuntu is because I can't be arsed to figure out my Vista->XP networking problems. Ubuntu doesn't seem to care about it.

binbash
February 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
XP for gaming
Ubuntu everything else

Twitch6000
February 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Well for awhile it was cause I didn't have cedega so I had to play Starcraft on XP.

Now I really have no reason to have a dual boot with XP,but I keep it anyways just in case...