PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Both of my panels disappeared!

lethalfang
February 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I'm using Ubuntu Desktop 8.10. Both of my top and bottom panel of my desktop disappeared after I log in. As a result, I have difficulty accessing any of my softwares in the application menu or launcher on the panel.
Please help!

I am only able to get onto firefox by putting a CD in to have the file explorer automatically launched, so I can find the firefox launch script in /usr/bin and open firefox that way.

I don't use shortcut keys very often, but I tried a few, e.g., alt-F1 and alt-F2, and nothing happens......

What happened there?

trepid666
February 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Is it a fresh install? have u turned off your computer yet since installing?

open terminal and run

sudo gnome-panel

lethalfang
February 18th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Is it a fresh install? have u turned off your computer yet since installing?

open terminal and run

sudo gnome-panel

Yes, this is pretty much a fresh install.
I installed the thing earlier today, then installed some automatic updates including the latest kernal, etc., then I restarted and saw no problem. I then installed some other software, but when I restarted again, the panels are gone.
I ran that command "sudo gnome-panel" in the terminal, and got
sudo: gnome-panel: command not found

UbuntuNerd
February 18th, 2009, 03:41 AM
try this in a terminal:
gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

lethalfang
February 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Well, I thank everyone for the help.
Apparently, I must've accidentally deleted something, since tripid666 suggested that I ran "sudo gnome-panel" and the terminal returns "command not found."
So I took a guess and ran the command "sudo apt-get install gnome-panel," and everything is restored!
Woohoo! Saved me a whole day reinstalling everything!

richardi
April 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks Lethalfang - I just had the same problem after updating Nvidia drivers to 180.11. Reinstalling gnome-panel as you guessed did the trick.