PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu alternate installer doesn't install xubuntu

dcottingham
February 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I just ran the xubuntu 8.10 alternate installer on a computer, get to the reboot, and am astonished to be staring at a dumb terminal. I look in /var/log, there is no Xorg.0.log. I look in /etc/X11, there is no xorg.conf, not even the empty one that seems to be the latest fashion. I can find no evidence that the installer made any attempt to set up an X desktop.

So I started the installation over from scratch, and this time when I get to the screen that lists a few optional components (print server, mail server, ...) I check the box for kubuntu desktop. Now when we get to the reboot, I find myself looking at a kubuntu desktop. On the login screen I have the choice of "default", "KDE", or "Failsafe".

So from the xubuntu installer I have a working kubuntu desktop, but I can't seem to get any xubuntu desktop. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Perhaps a related question -- somewhere towards the end of the installation it says something about gathering info for an installation report. Where can I find this report?

Thanks.

spcwingo
February 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Press ALT+F1 and enter:

sudo apt-get remove --purge kubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

followed by:

sudo reboot

This should at least remove the Kubuntu desktop and install the Xubuntu desktop. As far as why it did what it did...I am at a loss. :-k I've never seen that at all.

dcottingham
February 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks, that fixed it. To make my life more difficult, I instead did a fresh install w/o asking for the kubuntu desktop, then asked aptitude to install xubuntu-desktop. 800+ packages later, it's working just fine.