PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any idea why Windows stopped working on my dual boot?

gymophett
February 18th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I had Windows XP on a 10gb parition and 70gb on Ubuntu partition.
All my games and everything were saved on Windows. I added 10 more gigs to make it 20gb partition last night. It was working earlier today. Then it just stopped, and I wasn't even able to mount the partition in Ubuntu to back up my game files. :/
I'm reinstalling Windows now, so can someone help?

SonnHalter
February 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
my only guess is that you didn't give it enough attention.

It is very strange for that to happen if it was working before. you've had to done something

Dark Aspect
February 18th, 2009, 01:35 AM
All my games and everything were saved on Windows. I added 10 more gigs to make it 20gb partition last night. It was working earlier today. Then it just stopped, and I wasn't even able to mount the partition in Ubuntu to back up my game files. :/

How did it stop working? Did the system simply boot into Ubuntu and ignore windows? If so the windows partition may still be there as well as your data. The windows boot loader may have been corrupted,try using super grub (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/) to fix the windows partition.

gymophett
February 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
How did it stop working? Did the system simply boot into Ubuntu and ignore windows? If so the windows partition may still be there as well as your data. The windows boot loader may have been corrupted,try using super grub (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/) to fix the windows partition.

Did all of that. It will boot into it but sticks at the welcome sign. Wouldn't let me mount taht partition in Ubuntu, and the last thing I did taht couldve caused it would have been resizing it =/

MikeTheC
February 18th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Operating Systems Local 101 organized a strike against Linux-installed computers, citing a breakdown in labor negotiations and improper instalation of a non-union kernel.

Figures...

Grant A.
February 18th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Virus?

Keyper7
February 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM

What did you use to add those extra 10 gigs? Did it stop working right after you added them?

Vista, for example, doesn't like when you use external tools to mess with partition sizes. XP is more friendly, but I'm not sure it's 100% friendly.

What's the message you get when you try to boot directly into Windows? Can you take a picture of it?

gymophett
February 18th, 2009, 02:44 AM
What did you use to add those extra 10 gigs? Did it stop working right after you added them?

Vista, for example, doesn't like when you use external tools to mess with partition sizes. XP is more friendly, but I'm not sure it's 100% friendly.

What's the message you get when you try to boot directly into Windows? Can you take a picture of it?

I've alreadye rased it and reinstalled =,/
anyway. now my ubuntu live cd wont boot!

gymophett
February 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Nevermind, I got it working, the usb I had in my computer was confusing it.