PDA

View Full Version : Productive habits...

somethingkindawierd
February 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I was just wondering what experienced Linux/Ubuntu users do to be more productive on Linux. What habits, software tools, tweaks, etc. do you employ to be more productive? And by "more productive" I mean more so than competing operating systems or even the vanilla Ubuntu install.

nothingspecial
February 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Aliases. In your .basrc you can create custom commands that you assign to real commands. For example if I want to ssh into my server I type

ssh -X -C -c blowfish me@192.168,1.4 alot of typing so in my .bashrc I add the line

alias server='ssh -X -C -c blowfish me@192.168.1.4'

Now I only have to type
server

a few more I use

alias mp3s='sshfs server me@192.168.1.4:/media/disk/music'

So to mount my Flac collection as mp3s I just type mp3s.

And to listen to BBC 6Music I just type 6music

alias 6music='mplayer mms://wmlive.bbc.net.uk/wms/6music/6music_e2s1

Another thing is to learn to become independent of the mouse, gnome-do is a great app for this.

sudo apt-get install gnome-do

somethingkindawierd
February 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah! I have wondered how to create aliases to commands, but have yet to research it. Thanks.

And I completely agree about Gnome-Do...it is an exceptional application.

nothingspecial
February 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
It`s not just gnome-do, it`s learning the keyboard shortcuts for your favourite apps, firefox shortcuts, gnome shortcuts etc etc. You`ll be suprised how much faster everything is.

Also if your searching the web for information or just browsing these forums, ie not watching youtube or shopping etc then use a commandline web browser such as lynx or elinks. They`re like lightning compared to good old ff.

Same goes for everything really. Command line apps by their nature are faster than gooeys. If you know the path to the file you want to use and use the tab key alot.