PDA

View Full Version : Dapper!

ihavenoname
December 22nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
I JUST WANTED TO SHARE WITH EVERYONE HOW FAST DAPPER IS!!!! OMG!!!! sry for the caps im jsut so excited! It took only 48 sec. to start up breezy takes 1min30s windows 37 FC4 1min 20s so YA! UBUNTU TEAM!!! GREAT JOB!!! I will warn it is still buggy ! another great feature is that it autodetected my Wireless card WUSB54Gv4 however is froze when i tried to get it working. althou it did detect my networks with iwlist rausb0 scan . I just thought Id post and give everyone a little spark! Its gonna be well worth the upgrade when its complete! Keep in mind unless you want to test it out for ur self or help the team WAIT!!! Its not YET ready for full functionality but it seems to be getting there! :D Wow i cant wait!

p.s. once again i emphasize the point made earlier its not wise to use dapper as you main OS. hmmm another thing is that it does not seem to realize that Fedora COre is also installed it says that its free space but it detects windows fine.

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 02:58 AM
Then it will be 20 times better at the final release ;)

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 03:01 AM
Yah, almost 1/5th as fast as FreeBSD running KDE.

Sorry, i just had to say that after returning from BSD to Ubuntu today and i'm stuck with it until my other computer finishes the buildworld.

xequence
December 23rd, 2005, 03:57 AM

Sorry, i just had to say that after returning from BSD to Ubuntu today and i'm stuck with it until my other computer finishes the buildworld.

Ive heard FreeBSD was really fast, which was my main reason to try it.

poofyhairguy
December 23rd, 2005, 04:22 AM

If that sentence would have finished with the word "Gnome" I would have been tempted. :)

ihavenoname
December 23rd, 2005, 04:45 AM
wow bsd is that fast? tell me more? wait does it take forever to set up or something? wuts the catch? and wuts build world? sry im really curious!:rolleyes:

hoodwink
December 23rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
I haven't used BSD for a number of years. Upgrades were a bear, and newer peripherals were out of the question, but ... BSD has always been much faster than Linux for KDE, etc. I presume it has much to do with their equivalent for glibc and other system components.

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 05:22 AM
If that sentence would have finished with the word "Gnome" I would have been tempted. :)

You can run Gnome with FreeBSD, or Flux or Black or XFCE, most of it is included in packages, some of it in ports, no matter what you run and even though KDE is the standard (for a very good reason) you can still run gnome, it's still as optionless as in Ubuntu though, you still can't do direct menu edits, but that is for your own good, or schedule our printouts.

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 05:27 AM
Ive heard FreeBSD was really fast, which was my main reason to try it.

You heard right, with the 6.0-RELEASE it's almost a ridiculous difference.

It's so fat that you cannot start konqueror and manage the move with the mouse to the top right close corner before it is there.

Compare that that to Ubuntu with gnome, in fact i'd say that a 1,2Ghz running several programs in FreeBSD will still finish before a 4.0 finishes with the same compilation of the same tools under GNU/Linux...

Gnu tools are somehwat intersting, but no one really uses that crap.

ihavenoname
December 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Compare that that to Ubuntu with gnome, in fact i'd say that a 1,2Ghz running several programs in FreeBSD will still finish before a 4.0 finishes with the same compilation of the same tools under GNU/Linux...

Wow...but doesnt it take forever just to compile everything? is that worth it?

briancurtin
December 24th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Gnu tools are somehwat intersting, but no one really uses that crap.
i was interested in what you were talking about until you showed how little you actually know. thanks for the hint.

prizrak
December 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
FreeBSD takes more to setup and harder to run than Ubuntu. There are ports but there is no alien and I don't think rpms work on it. BSDFreak correct me if I'm wrong.

ihavenoname
December 24th, 2005, 05:33 AM
hey was a "1337 h4xx0r."???? im sry...call me a newbie but i saw it in xequence's signature....haha

xequence
December 24th, 2005, 05:40 AM
hey was a "1337 h4xx0r."???? im sry...call me a newbie but i saw it in xequence's signature....haha

Youre asking what it means? An elite hacker :P

ihavenoname
December 24th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Youre asking what it means? An elite hacker :P
haha nice! i wanna learn that lang. ...haha

BSDFreak
December 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM
i was interested in what you were talking about until you showed how little you actually know. thanks for the hint.

I was talking about *IN BSD* it's entirely possible to do so but no one does it.

And i realize it's a bold statement even then and not entirely true, it's more a clarification of my personal preference than anything else, i'm sorry i was unclear on the matter.

greenpenguin
January 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Completely offtopic but BSDFreak, why do you apparently only have one post? :p

-Rick-
January 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
FreeBSD takes more to setup and harder to run than Ubuntu. There are ports but there is no alien and I don't think rpms work on it. BSDFreak correct me if I'm wrong.
You can use rpm on many different systems - including *BSD. FreeBSD also uses it for Linux packages from the ports tree.

chimera
January 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM
Completely offtopic but BSDFreak, why do you apparently only have one post? :p

because apparently, podsts in community chat and all it's subforums don't count:mad: I wonder why?

majikstreet
January 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
I'm upgrading to dapper now..

UbuWu
January 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
haha nice! i wanna learn that lang. ...haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

:razz:

ihavenoname
January 2nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

:razz:
THANX!:D

ihavenoname
January 2nd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Hey ...i have ...well i dunno wut it is but .. my Ubuntu uses about 112 mb of ram with out having anything even opened...y is it so high FC4 uses about 98 and Vector Standard uses 48 while Vector SOHO uses about 89-98...is there anyway to fix this...or should i just wait for dapper.....thats the main thing thats holding me back from going all the way Ubuntu....maybe its just setup bad on my comp....does anyone else feel Brezzy is a bit sluggish at times...?:???:

drucer
January 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
My Linux From Scratch installation boots up in less than 15 seconds. _AND that includes_ starting up the X window manager (XFCE) to a fully functional state. I have tried various flavors of BSDs also, but they can't match this speed and do not support my audio hardware.

System specs:
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood, 2.8GHz
Maxtor SATA disk 160GB
1 GB RAM
NVidia AGP display adapter 128MB
M-Audio Delta 66 pro-audio card

Stormy Eyes
January 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hey ...i have ...well i dunno wut it is but .. my Ubuntu uses about 112 mb of ram with out having anything even opened...y is it so high FC4 uses about 98 and Vector Standard uses 48 while Vector SOHO uses about 89-98...is there anyway to fix this...or should i just wait for dapper.....thats the main thing thats holding me back from going all the way Ubuntu....maybe its just setup bad on my comp....does anyone else feel Brezzy is a bit sluggish at times...?:???:

Don't worry about it. The Linux kernel handles memory differently; it will use free RAM for buffers, disk cache, shared library cache, etc.

jc87
January 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Great thread about bsd.... dapper i mean:D .

I think i will wait until the next version to try it out at my secondary hard drive.