PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who uses cairo-dock or any other docks. . . .

Macfunky
February 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Which launchers do you have in your dock and which do you find most helpful to have at access to at the click of a mouse?

To anyone who doesn't use any docks which applications do you have shortcuts to? Which do you find most essential to have easy access to?

BGFG
February 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Docks annoy me. But i think i'll try Docky in Jaunty. In my panel left to right i have: Firefox, Terminal, Synaptic, AbiWord, Limewire, Exaile, deluge.

simtaalo
February 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Docks annoy me

i felt the same but thought i would give docky a go, it is better than the other docks i've used by a fair way. still not sure if i'm 100% into it but it has stayed on my desktop for at least a month now

Dekkon
February 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I love Docks,

but I just use Plasma inside of KDE 4.2 to make a Dock, So that might not help you.

octesian
February 18th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I alwas have my most used programs on Docky. Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin and Quodlibet. Everything else I need I just use AGM or alt+f2.

kk0sse54
February 18th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I use wbar, light weight and nicely configurable

Mohamedzv2
February 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I don't have a dock since I don't use Linux as much anymore but if I did I'd put on Pidgin, Firefox, GIMP, Terminal, and other apps that I use a lot. Mostly art apps though

Bart_D
February 18th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Is Docky better Cairo Dock and/or AWN? If so, why?

Does it use less resources(CPU, RAM)?

octesian
February 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I don't know if its less system intensive or not. I just got tired of how AWN looked. Docky was a bit of a pain to set up, but it works fine for me now.

Tibuda
February 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I alwas have my most used programs on Docky. Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin and Quodlibet. Everything else I need I just use AGM or alt+f2.If you use Docky, why don't you launch "everything else" with Gnome Do?

Is Docky better Cairo Dock and/or AWN? If so, why?Sure, because it's more than a dock, it is Gnome Do, agreat application launcher.

I have in my Docky: Gnome-Do, Nautilus, Epiphany, Pidgin, Liferea, Rhythmbox, Transmission, Gedit, Abiword and Gnome-Terminal and Trash.

octesian
February 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM
If you use Docky, why don't you launch "everything else" with Gnome Do?

Cus I just got it yesterday?
Also I just got it because of Docky. I could care less what else gnome-do does. I'm cheap like that.

pol666
February 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Is Docky better Cairo Dock and/or AWN? If so, why?

Does it use less resources(CPU, RAM)?

Is more useful and use less resources. but Cairo Dock it's the best, it's the most configurable and support more effects, plugins, widgets.

SonnHalter
February 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I use AWN and have firefox, thunderbird,opeofficewriter,winedoors,VLC media plaer, skype, Emescene, audacity, brasero disc burning, synaptic, geany,weather

la3875
February 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
just got into this whole dock thing as a result of wBar being integrated into gOS. I had config issues with it and another member turned me on to Cairo. So far so good (<1-week). Like the look better but think video card in this laptop not up to Cairo full potential. Will stay tuned to this thread for latest and greatest opinions.;)

Corfy
February 20th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Well, to answer the questions on what I have in my dock...

Terminal, Firefox, Evolution, Pidgin, KeePassX, GIMP, Amarok, TrueCrypt, VLC Player, OpenOffice.org Writer, OpenOffice.org Calc, Scribus, BibleTime, and Synaptic.

spupy
February 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I use desktop icons arranged as a dock:
Firefox, Thinderbird, Liferea, Google Calendar, Home Folder, Apps Folder

Stefanie
February 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I don't use a dock anymore. But i've got shortcuts for gmrun, synaptics, gvim, firefox, evolution, jabref, basket note pads, virtualbox, googlizer, xkill, kdocker, tilda and the openbox menus. I use gnome-do for all the other stuff - "plain" gnome-do, i don't like docky that much.

VCoolio
March 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I've fallen in love with cairo-dock, it's more tweakable and stable than awn, more useful than e17-shelf and lower on cpu than docky. I use some applets (terminal, clipper, weather and clock) and some launchers for specific commands: one for nautilus --no-desktop (because I use Enlightenment), two for changing keymap to classical Greek and back, one for opening the Dutch news stream in smplayer. And launchers for several browsers I'm experimenting with. Only little problem is not working systray applet, so iconifying programs which tend to go to the systray means losing them out of sight. You can find them with alt-tab in your window-list though.

smartboyathome
March 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
VCoolio, have you tried Itask-NG? It is another dock which I think fits better with the E17 environment.

WatchingThePain
March 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I tried Cairo Dock but didn't like it and went back to panel.
It sorta reminded me of Winblows a bit.

CarpKing
March 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I use AWN with launchers for Epiphany, Pidgin, Thunderbird, and a terminal, plus applets for RSS, desktop switching, and trash.

simtaalo
March 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM
on my docky there is aMsn, FF, totem, decibel audio player, vlc, lmms, mixxx, qjackctl, xchat, k3b and mhWaveEdit.

spcwingo
March 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
I use wbar for it's light resource usage and easy configuration. While it's not a dock, it is an application launcher and does this function exceptionally well. Here is my .wbar file so you can see what is on it. :)

# The Bar && Font
i: /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/mybg8.png
t: /usr/share/wbar/font/14
c:

i: /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/reflective_icons/KONSOLE(SYSTEM).png
c: nautilus --no-desktop --browser
t: Nautilus

i: /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/reflective_icons/KONSOLE2.png
c: gnome-terminal
t: Terminal

i: /usr/share/wbar/iconpack/wbar.osx/reflective_icons/KONQUEROR.png
c: firefox