PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [8.10] - uninstalling services I don't need

skunkbad
February 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've just installed 8.10, and I'm wondering if I can make it run faster by uninstalling service that I don't need. I noticed that when the system did its initial upgrade after installation, that bind was being updated. Do I really need this? I just browse the internet on this machine. I need the wireless NIC to work, flash, javascript, and the ability to view PDFs and movies. Other than that, I don't need the other stuff like Open Office, Pidgen, etc.etc.etc.

Would the sytem run faster if this stuff wasn't there, or am I just being hopeful?

Is there a list of not so necessary stuff that I can get rid of? Perhaps a tutorial?

Thanks,
Brian

ChrisHannam
February 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
As long as those programs are not running you wont save any boot up time. As for tutorials I have yet to try any but a bit of googling should see you ok.

UbuntuNerd
February 17th, 2009, 10:46 PM
anytime I do a fresh install of Ubuntu I get rid of all kind of things, I don't know if it makes things faster but at least is less clutter. you can go to add/remove programs and look for things you are not planing on using. I usually remove all the "themes and icons" I don't like also some of the OpenOffice programs and I only keep the Openoffice word. some programs may not let you remove from add/remove and you have to do it from synaptic Package manager, also be careful not to remove your desktop as some apps are closely integrated with it.

skunkbad
February 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Well, if it won't make things faster, then I don't think there is any point in doing it. Thanks for your responses.

Vico Vicario
February 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Synaptic is not very helpful when it comes to deleting not required packages. Use aptitude: find ubuntu-desktop (using / command), press enter and examine required and recommended packages. You can actually purge (using _ command) all recommended packages that you dont need.

Also check System/Preferences/Sessions and disable things you dont need like tracker,strigi, assistive tech, etc.

V.