PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OOps with Menu.lst

IanB2
February 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Help ..... I've messed up my Mum-in-Law's laptop recent upgrade to the latest Kernel ..... when the upgrade was installing, I clicked 'keep the existing menu.lst' by mistake.

I'd like to insert the missing lines from the menu.lst so I'm able to run the latest kernel, as we're having some hardware issues with a webcam, which the new kernel may help with.

Its the 8.04 installation. Any help would be much appreciated.

taurus
February 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Look to see the exact name/number of the new kernel in /boot

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

ls -la /boot
and edit /boot/grub/menu from a terminal.

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Copy the entry for the old kernel and paste it above it. Now, replace the old kernel with the newer one. Save it and reboot.

IanB2
February 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Brilliant and many thanks .... worked a treat!

Pablo Pablovski
February 18th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I did this exact same thing (didn't update menu.lst when updating the installed kernels), and haven't been able to get the system to boot with 2.6.27.12 since (it's fine with .....11).

If I edit menu.lst as suggested, the system boots in low graphics mode. From there, letting the system re-configure itself doesn't seem to do anything - just a blank screen - and I'm forced to restore the "old" version of menu.lst and reboot (which I do remotely, from my iPod Touch - cool!).

I suspect I need to compile a kernel module for my graphics card - I have an nvidia 8800GTS running the 190.29 Beta driver - but I don't really know how to do that or, indeed, if that's actually what the problem is.

Any helpful suggestions / directions?

TIA
PP