PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Recommend Server or Desktop?

bwkeyboardman
February 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hi Folks,

I am brand new into the Ubuntu scene and am very excited about what I see and all the support showing here. My background is Windows, of late, with some Sun Solaris experience for several years but more then 8 years ago.

My desire is to get back into Linux and Ubuntu has been recommended by a couple friends of mine. I have a Dell computer that I would like to turn into a File Server as it has too little memory (512mb) to do anything else with and since it is Ram Bus memory, too expensive to upgrade. So, I'd like to hook up 2 USB external hard drives to it and use it as my Media Server. I can use Windows XP on it but would prefer to use Ubuntu so I can get back into the Linux world.

I plan to set it up with Dual boot because it is a backup to my laptop in case something should happen to it - I do a lot of web work and cannot be out of commission for more then a few hours.

I would also like to set it up as a web server to test my Joomla web sites prior to uploading them to the live servers. It makes much more sense to use Linux because all my live servers are Linux.

Here is my questions: Should I install a desktop version of Ubuntu or the server version? Anyone out there have similar experiences that I am about to attempt and want to chime in?

I appreciate any suggestions. :)

Thanks!
BW

kerry_s
February 17th, 2009, 08:49 PM
the server has no gui, it's command line.
i would say you probably want the desktop since you will be doing other things besides the server, any server stuff can easily be installed on the desktop.

Cope57
February 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
My desktop is my server, but then again, any Linux desktop can also be a server.
A server does not need to be CLI only, but many administrators prefer it that way because of the resources used.