PDA

View Full Version : Resignation

KiwiNZ
February 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
To avoid rumor and speculation and distraction for the real task at hand

I have decided to post this here

Following recent events I find it impossible for me to continue as Forum Council , Forum staff and Forum member
and hereby tender my resignation affective immediately.

The referring of staff being Gestapo is extremely offensive to me and very disappointing.

I wish all the staff and the forum best wishes for the future

TravisNewman
February 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Again, Kiwi, please reconsider this.

howefield
February 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Yes, a completely unsavoury episode with a poor conclusion.

All the best KiwiNZ.

FuturePilot
February 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Aw, I'm sorry to hear this. :( You've put a lot of hard work into this forum, the council, etc. Of course no one can make you stay, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I wish you the best whatever your decision.

Perryg
February 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
KIWI,

I sadly don't know you nor have we had the chance to visit. With that said I know you must have thought this out very carefully. Should you reconsider this action I am certain that a lot of people here including myself will be very grateful. I have learned so much for the fine folks at Ubuntu as I am sure a ton of others have. Until later.

dragos240
February 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
It's very sad to see anyone on the forum go, especially a hard working staff member. Please reconsider, and if not, have a good time doing whatever you do when your not here.

lukjad
February 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=KiwiNZ;6750207]Following recent events I find it impossible for me to continue as Forum Council , Forum staff and Forum member
and hereby tender my resignation affective immediately.

The referring of staff being Gestapo is extremely offensive to me and very disappointing.[QUOTE]

What? No! You can't just let some... malcontent... force you into quitting! I don't know the whole story behind this, so I cannot comment further. Suffice it to say, please don't go!

If you do decide to continue with this course of action, please accept my best wishes in whatever you choose to do.

chucky chuckaluck
February 17th, 2009, 08:02 PM
either way, don't be a stranger, mike.

click4851
February 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I take no joy or pleasure in anyone leaving this forum, I think the forum is less for it. Having said that, I'm not surprised by the characterization of the forums of late.

notwen
February 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Although I've disagreed w/ some of your actions, you've always made it a point that you only intended the best for ubuntuforums and it's users. I hope your decision was made w/ much thought and wish nothing but the best for you and your future. =]

Erunno
February 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
The good ones always leave early. http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/images/smiles/icon_salut.gif

leg
February 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I would urge you to think again if you are doing this because of someones ignorance towards you. I have noticed a trend of abusing forum staff members for doing their, voluntary, job here. I don't know you but have noticed you here over the last year or so and I have always thought you (and all other staff actually) to be fair and thoughtful.

Please think again.

ps just type the last line of my sig into Google for the attitude you need.

JoePalma
February 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
ive been sparse around here for a while now so im not really sure what happened, but its sad to see you leave kiwi.

good luck and best wishes in future endeavors

Sorivenul
February 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Good luck to you Kiwi.

darrenn
February 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Unbelievable! I know that the closing of the other os talk section had something to do with this. The problems that this forum are having are going to get that much worse now that KiwiNZ isn't here anymore. You guys had better hope for the sake of the forums that he reconsiders his resignation.

jpeddicord
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Again, Kiwi, please reconsider this.

+1. The forums won't be the same without you.

BGFG
February 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Please reconsider, like many other forums, this one suffers from very having very selfish and stupid members.
Don't let them drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience :)

Please stay on. you do a great job man......

Reynaldo.

Sand & Mercury
February 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Unbelievable! I know that the closing of the other os talk section had something to do with this. The problems that this forum are having are going to get that much worse now that KiwiNZ isn't here anymore. You guys had better hope for the sake of the forums that he reconsiders his resignation.

It's about this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066087

OP was called a 'gestapo', the offender received an infraction, made a case that the name-calling was in jest and apologized, had infraction lifted, OP will not stand for it, is now leaving.

Without reading through the thread in question too thoroughly, Kiwi, while I can say while it's noble to say that you aren't going to put up with this kind of behavior, I don't think leaving is a extremely good reason; I've seen you contributing a massive deal of good to the forums and it would be sad to see you go over an issue that is so minor up against what you do for the forums. If I were you I would accept the apology and keep my chin up, because surely it's not going to be a repeat incident and then business can go on as normal. It's bad form to bite the feeding hand, but imo it's also not good form to take these things to heart too much either. We're a big community and it's always helping the greater good if we can put personal differences aside.

When all is said and done though, it is your decision of course but you will be leaving a large pair of boots to fill if you do leave and one single members' mouth working before their brain does, is a pretty trivial reason to give up five years of being an important part of the community.

namegame
February 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I see no indication of Kiwi leaving because of the issue with the closing of the Other OS forums.

I did read the thread that offended him and it has nothing to do with the recent "trimming" of UF.

As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever seeing Kiwi posting in "Other OS."

I highly doubt that he cares so much about the closing of a subforum, that it caused him to resign.

EDIT: Sand and Mercury posted the link.

glotz
February 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Good bye!

darrenn
February 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
It's about this thread:

OP was called a 'gestapo', the offender received an infraction, made a case that the name-calling was in jest and apologized, had infraction lifted, OP will not stand for it, is now leaving.

Thanks for the link sorry for jumping to conclusions.

kevdog
February 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
You've done a wonderful job. You will be missed. Thank you for your contribution to my learning and others.

linuxisevolution
February 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
This is very sad, even though Kiwi gave me an infraction for mentioning fork bombs. . . Please rethink this Kiwi. There are some rude people, just deal with it, we all have too, especially the Americans like me:).

I think that if Kiwi DOES leave, there will be many more fights, argauments and problems. The UF may even break up , but that's probably a stretch. They will be sorry, kiwi, and they won't know how much they needed you until your gone.

Although I might move to http://www.linuxforums.tk .

forrestcupp
February 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I hate it when stuff like this happens. I can understand both sides, although I don't think either of them can.

I think Kiwi might be mad enough to not even come back and read these replies. But if you do, we'll miss you.

Although I might move to http://www.linuxforums.tk .
That doesn't seem like it has a real big community.

sports fan Matt
February 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
This is the 1st time Ive had to look at this...

To be honest..Everyone here I feel has a part in these forums. I may not know all that much, but I do what I can and the same goes for everyone here. I have noticed in the last few weeks (although havent studied closely) that there are insults.

I never posted in OS talk, so I dont know what went on there..but arent we all--all these wonderful members of this forum a team in the aspect of helping others? You have helped me and I for one am very grateful..Best of luck and you will be missed.

Sealbhach
February 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks KiwiNZ and good luck. I always considered you a friendly avatar around the forum.

linuxisevolution
February 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I hate it when stuff like this happens. I can understand both sides, although I don't think either of them can.

I think Kiwi might be mad enough to not even come back and read these replies. But if you do, we'll miss you.

That doesn't seem like it has a real big community.

I know, I made it. :D

It might get popular. It's in my sig.

linuxisevolution
February 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I personally think kiwi is being a bit sensitive, but I understand. He gave me infractions for stupid things like talking about how fork bombs work. I can understand how I got the other infraction. I don't want kiwi to leave , but I knew it would happen.

Antman
February 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I followed the thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1066087 and it looked as though this was resolved in a positive way..?!? I guess not.

kelvin spratt
February 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I think KIWI has been forced to make this decision by his own Forum staff, try saying that word to the relatives of the millions that were exterminated in the second world war. I would shake his hand for standing up for his believes.

Partyboi2
February 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
All the best for the future KiwiNZ :D

bobyo134
February 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
the best of luck to you, i wish you would stay but it's your life not ours and i have always thought not to be controled by others, and go your own way , we will all miss you...:(

-grubby
February 18th, 2009, 01:02 AM
You were a good admin Kiwi, and I wish you the best for your future. I'm not completely sure why you'd leave the whole forums because of one comment, but I don't know the significance of gestapo in your life.

TBOL3
February 18th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Umm... I agree, it seems like the problem was resolved, what happened to make you want to resign?

Slug71
February 18th, 2009, 02:40 AM
This thread was made 7 hours ago.

The thread posted below shows that everything that went down was a misunderstanding and apologies have come from boths sides.
Issue resolved! A few days ago at that.

So why is this still carrying on?

Kingsley
February 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM
What's up with the resigning after a little bit of disgrace? It's starting to remind me of Japanese politics. *badum-ching!*

BuffaloX
February 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks to KiwiNZ for helping making this forum the greatest on the internet, and all the other admins volunteering their work.
What you do is much appreciated.

Was this just "cultural gap"?
It's amazing how little distance you have to travel to experience a huge cultural gap, and the persons involved are from pretty different countries.

That said I think references to Gestapo is obviously out of place, and people using that kind of references deserve some sort of reaction from admins. You just can't compare forum admins to Gestapo, doing that just shows you know nothing about what Gestapo was.
It's like comparing Eisenhower to Hitler. (both build roads.)

I too sometimes think threads are closed for little or no good reason, but I would never use such language.

handy
February 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Two days in a row, I've woken up with not a clue about the shock waiting for me on the UF's. :-(

Mike, (if you do bother to read this?)

I'd like to say that I have found you to be by far the most sincere, honest & conscientious member of the staff here; a more fair person I doubt I will ever meet.

For all of the kerfuffle going on regarding the pruning of the forums, the loss of you as an administrator here is the greater loss by far.

I wish you the very best in your present & future Mike.

I too will miss your presence here.

The UF's have diminished greatly in the last two days.

Sincerely

Greg

KiwiNZ
February 18th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Following discussion with fellow staff members and changes that occurred after I posted this thread. ( I will not elaborate on that as it is confidential and involves others) I have for the time being withdrawn my resignation.

I thank all of you who posted here, or comments were really appreciated and humbling.

wieman01
February 18th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Good call, Kiwi.