PDA

View Full Version : Just started C++ yesterday...

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I have a slight problem I can not get the following to work. What is wrong? Please help. I made the file executable and it looks like the same thing as on the screen they told me to put in....so what is up? Thanx for any help...

Can+~
February 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Copy the command you're using to compile and execute it.

You should be using:

g++ -Wall "C++ Practice~1" -o executable
chmod u+x executable
./executable

StOoZ
February 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
next time paste the code here , and not supply images like that.

I can barely see something.

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Well that may be what is wrong. I just click the build button and then click build and run....:( I am using Code Blocks.

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
next time paste the code here , and not supply images like that.

I can barely see something.

I am sorry. What do you mean past the code here? I was not using the terminal I was runing or trying to run it from code blocks...

Can+~
February 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
You know what? completely drop the IDE. Open Gedit, add the bracket-matching, syntax highlighting and set the tabbing size to 4.

Grab gedit, write whatever you have to write, then open a terminal, go to the place where the file is and do

g++ -Wall "myfirstcode.cpp" -o executable
for compilation

chmod u+x executable
to make it executable

./executable
and running it.

Learn how to code, compile and run. Don't waste time on a fancy IDE, when the main objective is to learn a language. Later you can explore IDEs.

If it doesn't compile, you're probably lacking the compiling tools, which are easily attainable with:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

leg
February 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
My first guess would be to remove that cin.get() statement and then try again.
[edit] actually scrap that your errors are on line three and five and your first is can't find using. Make sure build-essentials is installed.

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Ok I will try what you suggest CAN+~, but I did only start C++ yesterday...Oh I forgot, Where is gedit?

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
[edit] actually scrap that your errors are on line three and five and your first is can't find using. Make sure build-essentials is installed.

I tried removing that like you said and I got permission denied this time.

Martin Witte
February 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think to read this (I added the return line, otherwise the program is not correct)

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "HEY, you I'm alive. Oh and Hello World!\n";
cin.get();
return 0; // main should always return an integer value
}

When I paste this in Code::Blocks it works, I guess either the build essentials package is not installed as Can + already suggested or Code::Blocks doesn point to GNU GCC compiler (in settings menu, compiler and debugger)

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Yes I have build essentials 11.4 latest version...

Leo Dragonheart
February 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I think to read this (I added the return line, otherwise the program is not correct)

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "HEY, you I'm alive. Oh and Hello World!\n";
cin.get();
return 0; // main should always return an integer value
}

When I paste this in Code::Blocks it works, I guess either the build essentials package is not installed as Can + already suggested or Code::Blocks doesn point to GNU GCC compiler (in settings menu, compiler and debugger)

I tried that same errors... Code Blocks does point to the GNU GCC compiler I think...

nvteighen
February 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Believe us. You don't need an IDE till you get into a really complex project... It's usually much better to learn what the compiling process is by hand than clueless struggling against an IDE.

jimi_hendrix
February 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Believe us. You don't need an IDE till you get into a really complex project... It's usually much better to learn what the compiling process is by hand than clueless struggling against an IDE.

vim is what i use

SledgeHammer_999
February 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
How did you start the project in Code::Blocks? Maybe you chose "C project" instead of "C++ project" and codeblocks uses gcc instead of g++ to compile your source.

Leo Dragonheart
February 18th, 2009, 01:03 AM

I totally agree with you all...I have completed 3 program tests and got them to work properly since this post a few hours ago. It is better to learn how to do it by hand first. I understand it way more now. Thx to everyone...;-)