PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn to make Cartoons, KToon site has been down for weeks

NerdcoreSteve
February 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I have installed KToon on my Linux box and would like to learn how to make short cartoons with it but haven't been able to access any resources or help on the ktoon website. I haven't found anything useful with google either. When you go to the site it says it's temporarily unavailable and has said so for weeks.

Anybody know the status of this project? Am I better off using Pencil (http://www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil/)? I don't want to use Synfig as I prefer to do do traditional 2D animation.

MarkBremmer
February 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Pencil is pretty decent - especially considering the price. If you're just animating for fun you really can't go wrong with it.

If you plan on doing any lip syncing to dialog, it will a load of work though. If you think you might be doing that, Anime Studio Pro is a good fit. It will prevent some major headaches when working with audio because it makes it so easy.

I've actually done some tutorials in it so you can see what the programs about if you want.

Mark

NerdcoreSteve
February 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I prefer to stay with open source stuff if possible. I think I may just install pencil and see if I can make it work for me. They look to have a small but active community. Maybe this would be an opportunity for me to increase my programming skills by getting involved in an open source project. :D