PDA

View Full Version : Open source text document formats, like .odt

tirengarfio
February 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hi,

what is the most extended open source text document format apart from .odt?

You know, I send my teacher a .odt file and told he couldn't read it with his Word, so i should send some file that his Wooooord is able to open my file correctly..

Ciao

MaxIBoy
February 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Pdf?

dox_drum
February 17th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'd say that *.odt files are keeped for us... but in order to work with other people it is better to save them as *.doc

By the way, MS Office has the same problem... if someone send to you a file created in 2007's version, you cannot open it in Office 2003, but with OpenOffice. :D

Ciao anche a t`e.

dox_drum
February 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Pdf?

I know people that use the export PDF tool, but some file are not open in acrobat (with windows)... Believe it or not.

MaxIBoy
February 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
:-? That's weird, the PDF exporter for OpenOffice is supposedly fully standards-compliant.

dox_drum
February 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM
:-? That's weird, the PDF exporter for OpenOffice is supposedly fully standards-compliant.

Yeah! It is.

I don't know if it problem was solved in version 3.0.

Tibuda
February 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM

I got many exported OpenOffice documents with tables and graphs working fine with Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader in Windows.

If yet your teacher can't open yours PDFs, he can read ODF with Sun's plugin (http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/get.jsp), or you can save in MS Word format.

sydbat
February 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Or find out if your teacher can have Open Office installed on their computer, either doing it themself or having IT do it for them (if in the school office, the IT department might have blocked installing programs).