PDA

View Full Version : Sed giving me invalid range end message

forthekill
February 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I am trying to replace occurrences of uppercase-lowercase pairs in a file with spaces, using sed but it is not working.

For example, I want to find Rb or Ti or Am and replace them with spaces.

Using the command:

sed 's/[A-z]/ /g'

gives me an error:

sed: -e expression #1, char 11: Invalid range end

I don't understand what is wrong with that command. Can someone help?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10.

Yuzem
February 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Try this:

sed 's/[a-z]/ /Ig'

Martin Witte
February 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
[A-z] is not a valid range hence the error, is this what you want?

martin@toshibap200:~$ cat testfile
Zs xx Cd vbnm zWqrety
martin@toshibap200:~$ sed 's/[A-Z][a-z]/ /g' testfile
xx vbnm z rety
martin@toshibap200:~$

forthekill
February 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks a ton :)

zolero
June 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Hi there.

I have a similar behavior with sed in bluesoleil linux package's postinstall script. There is the following:

files=`find /etc -name '[Ss]*[Hh]al' 2>/dev/null`

for file in $files; do
basefile=`basename $file`;
digit=`echo $basefile | sed 's/[a-Z]//g'`;
if [ ! -z $digit ] && [ "$digit" != "" ];then
while [ "$digit" -lt "99" ]
do
Now, for the red marked expression I get this in terminal:

root@bluestorm:/home/zolero/Ghernyo# dpkg -i *.deb
Selecting previously deselected package bluesoleil.
(Reading database ... 271543 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bluesoleil (from bluesoleil_1.1.0.9-1zbstorm1_i386.deb) ...
Welcome to the BlueSoleil world!
Setting up bluesoleil (1.1.0.9-1zbstorm1) ...
Please reboot to use BlueSoleil!
sed: -e expression #1, char 10: Invalid range end
Enjoy BlueSoleil!
root@bluestorm:/home/zolero/Ghernyo#I've googled a lot for this, and tried some other expression variants, but no luck. This crap annoys me and drives me crazy... :mad: What tha heck have to put there to solve it.. :?: Please help me to turn this error message off. Thanks in advance.

geirha
June 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
[a-Z] will typically be valid in your locale, but not the C-locale, since in the C locale, all uppercase letters sort before lowercase letters. Better to just use [[:alpha:]] instead.

That script is badly written btw, so it's not surprising that it'll fail under "odd" circumstances. What is the script trying to do?

Yuzem
June 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Try this:

for file in $files; do
digit=${basefile//[a-z]};
do

That should replace both uppercase and lowercase letters.
You should also replace basename for:

basefile=${file##*/};

zolero
June 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM
That script is badly written btw, so it's not surprising that it'll fail under "odd" circumstances. What is the script trying to do?

I'm not the author of this script... am just an editor of it, and the BlueSoleil Linux package (version 1.1.0.9 for Ubuntu 8.04.x LTS Hardy Heron. I will solve also the kernel dependency problem for the 1.3.1.5 version for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to be useable on any running kernel version ;) if anyone is interested...) Original author is a gentleman named JiaDianlong, from IVT Corporation, who had built a so poor Ubuntu package, that I'm wondering where had he learnt Ubuntu and its packaging policy. Anyway, I wanted to correct it for personal usage, and manually made all the repairs needed. Although package is ready, and works well, I want this message turned off.

The quoted part with the trouble is a part of the package's postinstall script, as I wrote earlier, and is supposed to find a suitable call sequence number for the "observer" boot initscript, in order to automate the BlueSoleil driver functionality at system startup.

# Find a suitable sequence number, which determines to call the "observer" boot-script.
# The number must be larger than the corresponding number of "hal" service, and - for
# better stability - it shouldn't occupied by any other boot service.

for file in $files; do
digit=`echo $basefile | sed 's/[a-Z]//g'`;
do
digit=`expr $digit + 1`;
substitute=`echo $basefile | sed -e "s/[0-9][0-9][a-Z]*/$digit/"`*
if [ -z "`find /etc -name $substitute 2>/dev/null`" ];then
break;
fi
done
break;
fi
done

#update-rc.d observer defaults >/dev/null

if [ ! -z $digit ];then
update-rc.d observer start $digit 2 3 4 5 . stop `expr 100 - $digit` 0 1 6 . >/dev/null
else
update-rc.d observer defaults >/dev/null
fiThis above is the entire section supposed to do that, with authors commenting note. Can anyone give me the correct answer to turning this message off, please? Thanks geirha for trying to help...

I will thank also to Yuzem, for trying to solve this, but following his advice I've got just this:

root@bluestorm:/home/zolero/Ghernyo# dpkg -i *.deb
Selecting previously deselected package bluesoleil.
(Reading database ... 271543 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bluesoleil (from bluesoleil_1.1.0.9-1zbstorm1_i386.deb) ...
Welcome to the BlueSoleil world!
Setting up bluesoleil (1.1.0.9-1zbstorm1) ...
Please reboot to use BlueSoleil!
/var/lib/dpkg/info/bluesoleil.postinst: line 99: [: S24: integer expression expected
expr: non-numeric argument
update-rc.d: error: expected NN after start
usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults|multiuser [NN | sNN kNN]
update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
-n: not really
-f: force
Enjoy BlueSoleil!

root@bluestorm:/home/zolero/Ghernyo#The output let me know that the sed expression must be an integer, as it is a further variable for the update-rc.d script, something like S24observer I guess... Any other tips...?

geirha
June 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Oh dear, it's looking for files like /etc/rc2.d/S20hal. In order to give the script a lower start priority during boot (20+1 if it had found S20hal). Now apart from the backwards way of doing that, Ubuntu no longer uses hal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_(software)#Deprecated), so it won't find it...

I guess your best bet is to rewrite that init-script as an upstart script (http://upstart.ubuntu.com/) that runs some time after udev.

zolero
June 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Yes geirha, it looks for the hal daemon startup scripts, and yes, it's a Hardy Heron machine, that uses the hal (v0.5.11~rc2-1ubuntu8.3) daemon, even if newer versions don't use it anymore.

Now, since I don't want to upgrade my main home machine to - say Lucid, to be in sync with latest LTS release - something newer edition, I have to manage things to work well even on hal. Therefore I like to have a solution for this script if possible, please.

And I am not a retrograd, as one may suppose upon all above... The prove is that I chose the 1.1.0.9 version of BlueSoleil Linux for Hardy. Things are way different when we speak about my new Dell Inspiron laptop, where I run Lucid Lynx and - of course - there isn't hal anymore. So in the newest version of BlueSoleil Linux (1.3.1.5) I will adapt things upon newest situation requests. But my main machine remains Hardy Heron as for now. It runs my custom built kernel without even the littlest problem for 3 years now, is lightning fast, reliable, and boots up in a blink of eye (max. 35 secs from a cold start). I am convinced, that these reasons are enough to stay on Hardy Heron for now... ;)

Thanks again geirha, but I need a solution for this problem, not for my machine OS upgrade, if you don't mind... Anyone else, please?

geirha
June 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I see, somehow I got the idea you were trying to wedge in a Hardy-package on a newer system. Anyway, I took a look at how the hal-package does it, and this seems to be it:

# from debian/rules
DEB_DH_INSTALLINIT_ARGS := -- start 24 2 3 4 5 . stop 16 1 .

So just do something similar for that package, e.g.:

DEB_DH_INSTALLINIT_ARGS := -- start 25 2 3 4 5 . stop 15 1 .

Though I guess it depends on how much that package deviates from a typical deb package. So possibly you might have to run an update-rc.d line in that postinst script instead.