PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems installing 8.04 and 8.10 error messages

wakeboarder72
February 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Brand new to linux here. Read one of Keir Thomas' books before diving into it, and have tried to install 8.04 from the cd that came w/ the book. Tried to install to a 1TB drive w/ nothing else on it (have other drives in the box for XP...want to have dual-boot). The installation goes all the way to the end and then I get an error message saying:

Error removing "language-support-writing-h"

After I click through that dialogue box, there's another one that says:

Unable to fsync updated status of "language-support-writing-he"

Then, it appears that Ubuntu loads up from the cd, and then I get:

The program Ubiquity closed unexpectedly.

Finally, I get one last error message, saying:

package "language-support-writing-he 8.04 + 20080214" failed to install or upgrade

I checked the cd for errors, and it came back w/ none, that it was fine.

I then downloaded the 8.10 version onto a cd and tried to install that, again to its own hard drive. That one hangs forever at 5% of the install.

I've also tried the same installs on a different hard drive, thinking it might be an issue w/ the drive, but I get the same errors respectively for the two versions.

Any help/guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. I like what Ubuntu has to offer (from what I've seen so far), but am scratching my head trying to get the dang thing installed.

Thanks.....

Mark Phelps
February 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Not an expert in language support, but what little I could find on the error message is that you're attempting to install a version of Ubuntu in Hebrew (hence the "-he"). The english version would install "language-support-writing-en"

Maybe when the language selection appeared onscreen, you scrolled to quickly and picked Hebrew by mistake.

Otherwise, knowing absolutely nothing about Hebrew, I can't help you at all on that.

wakeboarder72
February 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Mark,
Thanks for having a look. I'll try it ONE more time, but hard to believe I would make that same mistake about 4 or five times. I think that's one of the first options that comes up, even before you get to the options on the cd, and by default it's on English so I just hit Enter. I'll look at it again though, and maybe download a previous version and see if that'll work.

Thanks again for checking....