PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 Fresh install, no SMB/VNC to local server

andy.million
February 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Here is the situation. I have a fresh install of 8.04 on a Thinkpad T60 (2.0 core 2, 1gb ram, ATIx1300). I was running 6.04 since it came out, and I was long overdue for a dist. upgrade. The install went smoothly, no issues or complications. I overwrote my old install, not keeping any of the files from before. My biggest concern was whether or not the wireless would work. I spent endless hours working on 6.04 getting it to work. Well, the wireless worked out of the box, I didn't have to do a single thing! That was a big and welcome surprise. I went through all the updates and those all went smoothly.

My troubles came when I tried to connect to my SMB shares and VNC into my server (also 8.04). I had no troubles in 6.04 accessing my shares or using vncviewer to graphically manage my server. My fiance can access the SMB shares without an issuE (using a MacBook). I can not locate the SMB shares and VNC refuses to connect. If I browse my network, I can see the server, but it will not connect.

Can anyone give me some direction to start troubleshooting?

andy.million
February 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/210741

I'll tackle this tonight and see if the workaround fixes it for me.