PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] dual-monitor resolution problem

islan
February 17th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Using the nvidia-settings dialog I was able to set up my dual-monitors, only there was one problem. I was able to get high-resolutions for the first monitor, but not so high with the second monitor. It is especially perplexing because they are both the same brand of monitor, though the nvidia-settings does not list them as such.

Any advice, or more info needed?

dzark
February 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Graphics card and driver versions pls :)

islan
February 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Card: GeForce 7600 GS

Driver: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 177)

dzark
February 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Im pretty sure i used to be able to pull dual 1600x1200 on my 7600GS.. It may be a EDID issue - are both monitors DVI, 1 VGA/1 DVI or both VGA?

If they're one of each, try swapping? Does graphics card have both same plugs on back?

islan
February 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Im pretty sure i used to be able to pull dual 1600x1200 on my 7600GS.. It may be a EDID issue - are both monitors DVI, 1 VGA/1 DVI or both VGA?

If they're one of each, try swapping? Does graphics card have both same plugs on back?

They both use VGA cables (those are the short ones, right?)

They are both using the same graphics card, with one of its ports using a converter to VGA.

I also have a second graphics card that I'm thinking about using for SLI, but that's another matter.

dzark
February 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
If you try swapping the cables, and re-detecting displays etc, and it's the same physical output of the card that is causing the problem, i think this link will help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316985

The monitors send EDID data to the graphics card that tells it what resolutions/refresh/etc it can handle, and sometimes this gets lost... This will let you manually set the limits :)

islan
February 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Okay, so apparently performing updates actually helped. Thanks for your advice!