PDA

View Full Version : economy benefit Linux?

SonnHalter
February 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Just wanted to see your thoughts.

linux grew 13.3 percent last year while Windows and Macs dropped.

do you think that when the economy is bad linux grows because of people wanting to save a few bucks instead of upgrading or downgrading windows or buying an expensive mac?

or do you think that when the economy is booming people are interested in what all of they're options are and come by linux?

ticopelp
February 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I think a lot of people are watching their money more closely. In tighter economic times a $300 OS upgrade can seem like quite an extravagance. It certainly was to me, anyway.

handy
February 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
It's not black & white.

Linux is ever so slowly seeping into the consciousness of the population at large.

The installation of Linux as opposed to say MS products in a corporate environment is not necessarily a cheap thing to do. I have read reports that say it actually costs more, when you factor in training & support costs.

I think that generally the IT education of many people in the developed world is increasing.

Many people have also been put off by the quality of Vista, & would like an alternative, some go to Apple, some go elsewhere.

konqueror7
February 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
in my country anyone is into pirated software, movies, and other stuffs...so i guess it depends on the region you live in.