PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Lenny? (Debian 5)

wolfen69
February 17th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I think it's awesome. a little bit behind the times, but very stable. what are your thoughts?

DeadSuperHero
February 17th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I just finished downloading and burning it, will try things out on my other hard drive.

smartboyathome
February 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I thought the discussion was only supposed to be about Ubuntu and Linux in general for now on, not anything else. :(

SonnHalter
February 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I thought the discussion was only supposed to be about Ubuntu and Linux in general for now on, not anything else. :(

shhhh, popo won't come less you call em.

I've tried it a little bit. just to test it out. Looks great imo

wolfen69
February 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM

yeah, right.

wolfen69
February 17th, 2009, 05:48 AM
i actually installed xp in virtualbox and then installed virtualbox within the virtual xp. no lie.

it's amazing what you can do these days.

kk0sse54
February 17th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I used Lenny when it was testing but the stable branch of Debian has never been of interest to me.

myusername
February 17th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I used Lenny when it was testing but the stable branch of Debian has never been of interest to me.

same here

wolfen69
February 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM

that's cool. you only have to be a fan of what you believe in.

some_random_noob
February 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I might put Debian on my computer if I sell it to my dad. If any of you guys are using Lenny on your computer (not virtualized) then could you please tell me how much RAM it eats up?

(p.s. drivers won't be a problem with my comp)

meborc
February 17th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I might put Debian on my computer if I sell it to my dad. If any of you guys are using Lenny on your computer (not virtualized) then could you please tell me how much RAM it eats up?

(p.s. drivers won't be a problem with my comp)

that will totally depend on the DE and the programs you will run on it

i use elive (lenny + e17) and the memory usage is usually around 220M

sharon.gmc
February 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I just Debian in my computer. I'm testing it now. So far, I am liking it.

meho_r
February 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Testing. Seems exceptionally stable. A candidate for my work machine. Really, really like it.

gn2
February 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
My thoughts?

1: It's not Ubuntu.
2: Live CD won't run at 800x600.

meho_r
February 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Installed it on an old P4 machine with 256MB RAM. Works like a charm.

notwen
February 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Currently running Etch on my server, been tinkering w/ Lenny in Virtualbox prior to it's official release and will upgrade my server box when I get enough time. =]

I run Debian on my PCs and Ubuntu on my laptops. Debian made me a apt-*****, Ubuntu didn't remedy this either. =]

Kopachris
February 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I just installed it next to Ubuntu (over my Arch partition) yesterday. I wanted it so I could build my own distro (not just a remaster, but actually building from debootstrap). It looks powerful and stable. I'm kind of disappointed about wifi and my ATI card not working out of the box, but I can get them working. Oh yeah, how come Iceweasel doesn't have spellcheck like Firefox?

Hallvor
February 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Debian testing with KDE eats almost 70 MB of RAM on a clean desktop (from free -m).

mamamia88
February 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
i have tried it it seems alot like ubuntu not worth installing it over ubuntu if you ask me

SunnyRabbiera
February 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
My thoughts?

1: It's not Ubuntu.
2: Live CD won't run at 800x600.

1: You know Ubuntu is based on debian right?
2: Live CD is still under works from what I understand.

xc1024
February 19th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I just finished installing. I'm digging through my bookmarks for that guide for basic gui install.

SunnyRabbiera
February 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I just finished installing. I'm digging through my bookmarks for that guide for basic gui install.

the installer should have been able to give you gnome at least unless you have a limited net connection.

Simian Man
February 19th, 2009, 06:14 PM
The downsides of Ubuntu without the benefits? No thanks.

Antman
February 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
i actually installed xp in virtualbox and then installed virtualbox within the virtual xp. no lie.

it's amazing what you can do these days.
How much ram do you have? It would be funny to test to see how far this chain could go. :lolflag:

xc1024
February 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
@SunnyRabbiera, the point is that I'm trying to get Debian working on resources as low as possible. I wanted to try if I am able to first install the base Debian base system, and then Openbox. Then, I guess, I'll poke around for a while.

gn2
February 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
1: You know Ubuntu is based on debian right?
2: Live CD is still under works from what I understand.

1: Yes
2: Freshly installed Debian 5 won't run 800x600 either

A possible workaround may be to temporarily connect a higher res monitor, reconfigure and connect the 800x600 monitor up again.
Haven't had the time yet.

ghindo
February 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
The downsides of Ubuntu without the benefits? No thanks.Care to expand on that? Debian absolutely has its own advantages over Ubuntu.

gn2
February 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Debian absolutely has its own advantages over Ubuntu.

Support for a wider range of architectures, but apart from that.....?

binbash
February 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
The downsides of Ubuntu without the benefits? No thanks.

I don't agree.It is wayyy more stable than ubuntu and has its own advantages.

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM

I don't know where you guys get that idea. Here's what it says at the top of every page in the cafe:

The Community Cafe
The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!
In other words, you can talk about whatever you want except religion, politics, and things that cause arguments. And you can even talk about politics if the subject is about open source issues.

cmay
February 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
i just installed same day the announcements was made. i also orded a dvd set from an online store that sells linux cd burned and with a nice penguin printed on it. i used debian since etch and the first few month i was a linux user i used the last few month of debian sarge.

i have however gotten into troubles with debian lenny since its doing stuff i dont understand. i cant find some programs and packages i depend upon. and i still cant have my printer working.

but the overall experience of using debian lenny from the unstable to its released is very interesting. it has never been a beta testing experience to me to use the unstable weekly builds and it has been all the way stable. i never used or enabled the sid respotories however. i know someone that had been running a production server using the lenny testing image and on his laptop he used lenny and sid. its stable enough for production use in its testing stages apparently.

grndslm
February 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Only thing I don't like about it is that my Intel wireless chip doesn't work outta the box... so when I was trying to test it a couple days ago, I couldn't really do anything in my new apartment since I'm stuck using other folks' routers for the time being.

ghindo
February 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Wide architecture support.
Very stable.
More lightweight than Ubuntu.
More "free" than Ubuntu.

qazwsx
February 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well, sid branch is more intresting to play with ;)
It's been very dull playmate since Lenny was freezed but things are going to change very soon.

However, I would use it on my secondary computer if I had one. Easier to maintain.

dragos240
February 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex, uses Lenny. I found a file somewhere that said debianversion or something, and it said lenny, neat eh?

gn2
February 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Wide architecture support.
Very stable.
More lightweight than Ubuntu.
More "free" than Ubuntu.

I'll agree with architecture support. (plus 1 point to Debian)
Stability? 8.04 LTS is extremely stable, as are many other distros (even)
Lightweight is perfectly possible with Ubuntu (even)
More "free" = less functionality and more of a P.I.T.A. (minus one point to Debian)

I make that a draw :)

ghindo
February 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Like any comparison between/among Linux distributions, it's really just a matter of personal preference and taste. That's the beauty of the Linux community :)

lykwydchykyn
February 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I just upgraded about 10 of my etch servers to it. So far so good. I've tried running Debian stable on the desktop before, it only really satisfies for about the first 6 months tops. After that I get frustrated hearing about new stuff I can't have and won't get for at least another year.

But on my servers... I still prefer it to Ubuntu server in most cases, basically because of release cycles. And yes, I'm comparing to LTS.

I've noticed that if one's only purpose for an OS is loading it on a laptop so you can browse YouTube, Debian doesn't impress. I don't think that's the target market.

Thirtysixway
February 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM
so is it targeted for servers? I've never tried Debian but I'm thinking of doing so.

beercz
February 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Yes

lykwydchykyn
February 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
so is it targeted for servers? I've never tried Debian but I'm thinking of doing so.

I'd say it is targeted at any situation where the need for stability trumps the need for bleeding edge, and the need for flexibility trumps the need for easy setup.

Servers tend to fall into that category, though that's not the only thing. Of course, it makes a smashing base for a derivative distro. ;)

I was talking to a friend back in my old town the other day, and he said if he could still get updates he'd be running Debian sarge (I think he's still running etch). Some folks had their computing needs met years ago, and don't want their lives interrupted by upgrades.

Of course, I'm not one of those people! (*does a quick dist-upgrade just in case something got released in the last 5 mins*)

Kopachris
February 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Of course, it makes a smashing base for a derivative distro. ;)
Have you done it yourself? Rolled your own Debian-based distro? If so, how did you do it? I was thinking of running debootstrap on an empty partition, chrooting, and installing everything else. Do you think that would work? [-o<

lykwydchykyn
February 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Have you done it yourself? Rolled your own Debian-based distro? If so, how did you do it? I was thinking of running debootstrap on an empty partition, chrooting, and installing everything else. Do you think that would work? [-o<

I haven't really, at least not in the sense of creating something to be distributed to others, but I've tinkered around a fair amount with building Debian based systems from the ground up for various purposes. I played around with debootstrap trying to create a usb image (a read/write install, not a liveCD type install) and a PXE boot situation, but eventually just went back to canned stuff like LTSP.

I guess there's a default Debian install of some sort, but I've never bothered with it; I usually treat it like a generic box of Lego pieces that I can build as I need.

Kopachris
February 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I haven't really, at least not in the sense of creating something to be distributed to others, but I've tinkered around a fair amount with building Debian based systems from the ground up for various purposes. I played around with debootstrap trying to create a usb image (a read/write install, not a liveCD type install) and a PXE boot situation, but eventually just went back to canned stuff like LTSP.

Hmm. Well, I'll give it a try anyway.

I guess there's a default Debian install of some sort, but I've never bothered with it; I usually treat it like a generic box of Lego pieces that I can build as I need.
I fee the same way about most distros. :)

grndslm
February 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
If you want an easy way to make your own Debian-based distro... take a look into Remastersys. Basically, you add the Debian remastersys repo, install it, make sure your system is configured the way you like... and it does all of the chrooting itself. There's a backup mode where it copies your /home folder, or you can use the dist mode that ignores it. Any system-wide settings you want can be moved to /etc/skel/ and then all newly created users will have those configs, including the "custom" LiveCD user on your LiveCD. Debian does have LiveCDs now, right?

I just created this guide a few days ago. Tho it's slanted toward GNOME/Ubuntu usage, it shouldn't be hard for others to adapt it for KDE, Xfce, Debian, etc...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073838

khelben1979
February 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm using it on my laptop over here and I also have it installed on my stationary pc. Works excellent!

Debian is the only distribution I really care about in private, really. Although, since other people often prefers others distributions I often get's into discussions like for instance in this Ubuntu forum.

I think I'm going to order myself a Debian T-shirt in the future or a maybe a Debian mug?

PurposeOfReason
February 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
What version of gnome does Lenny ship with? For my work machine, I don't need bleeding edge, just stable and fast.

cmay
February 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I think I'm going to order myself a Debian T-shirt in the future or a maybe a Debian mug?like this ?
i wont use anything else than my six pair of debian mugs no more ever since i got them. i can recommend them as they are great for morning coffee or even tea taste good in them and they last long. i had mine the two first of them for about two years then the rest of them for a year. none of them is faded in the image on them or anything.

ddnev45
February 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
What version of gnome does Lenny ship with? For my work machine, I don't need bleeding edge, just stable and fast.

I believe it's 2.22

http://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome/

I've been using it on an older laptop (64mb video card)that doesn't handle compviz/compositing too well; been using it since it was in testing with excellent results.

Therion
February 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Just burned my CD and I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend.

I'm finding I'm not as supportive of Ubuntu as much as I used to be, and Debian's siren-song is proving more and more difficult to resist.

khelben1979
February 20th, 2009, 08:51 PM
like this ?
i wont use anything else than my six pair of debian mugs no more ever since i got them. i can recommend them as they are great for morning coffee or even tea taste good in them and they last long. i had mine the two first of them for about two years then the rest of them for a year. none of them is faded in the image on them or anything.

To be honest, I don't like the design of that mug, but I do like the logo. Hmm... it won't be any Debian mugs for me. I'm curious though, are you able to wash them in a washing machine without that the logo of the cup get's damaged?

cmay
February 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
To be honest, I don't like the design of that mug, but I do like the logo. Hmm... it won't be any Debian mugs for me. I'm curious though, are you able to wash them in a washing machine without that the logo of the cup get's damaged?

i do not have a machine to do my dishes. but i think so. you support the debian project by buying those mugs , so i think they are really a good deal. there is many types of mugs with tux and kde and so on but i have never seen anything else with debian logos on it.

Erik Trybom
February 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
like this ?
Yeah, but can they run NetBSD?

norgeek
February 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
it was ok but something i did not like was the language support. Because i use Norwegian bokmål but it wasn't really working. (it looked like danish) but unless that it is great fast and stable. Download and try people =D

cmay
February 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
they might :) never tried.

Therion
February 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Yes, they can; but you're stuck with Kaffeine as your media player.

cmay
February 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
and the best thing about them is they are wireless.

PurposeOfReason
February 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I believe it's 2.22

http://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome/

I've been using it on an older laptop (64mb video card)that doesn't handle compviz/compositing too well; been using it since it was in testing with excellent results.
Nice page, even comes with compiz .0.7.6 which is quite new (granted compiz slowed a lot), looks like I'll be moving to lenny over spring break for my new computer and media box/server if I can get xbmc running on it. :KS

phaed
February 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
It's interesting. I'm using Jaunty alpha 4 right now and it is quite stable for me. The most stable Ubuntu alpha I have experimented with. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Debian just put out a final release. Ubuntu gets their packages from Debian, so you would expect development releases of Ubuntu to be most stable around the time Debian puts out a final release.

Which means Karmic will be very unstable. :)

RichardLinx
February 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I like what I'm hearing about the Debian mugs, sounds like they can do just about anything.
As for Debian Lenny.. Well I prefer to have everything 'cutting edge' so I'm going to give it a miss.

Athanasius
February 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I tried it when my nautilus kept crashing (intrepid) and I found it to be faster than ubuntu in just about every way.

I wanted to use it until jaunty came out But there are so many things that are automatic in ubuntu that aren't in debian. There doesn't seem to be any guides out there like ubuntuguide.org for debian, that would help immensely.

I ended up going back to intrepid and from time-to-time nautilus will eat up 95% of my memory, making like it is trying to find the cure for cancer... but really it's my only complaint with intrepid and it has only started this week..

cmay
February 20th, 2009, 11:56 PM
There doesn't seem to be any guides out there like ubuntuguide.org for debian, that would help immensely.

http://www.debian.org/doc/

its a lot more reading than the ubuntu documentation and i given up on reading it all. but the documentation is all there.
there is also besides books and howto pages a lot of reference and man pages and you can download in ubuntu the debian references as a .deb which holds the basic information for the beginners usage.

meho_r
February 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM
Testing Debian for 4 days now. This is my first encounter with it and for now I think it's more than great. As noted previously, it is waaaay more stable than Ubuntu. It starts faster, works faster, eats less resources and nothing crashed or freezed on it for 4 days. The funny thing is that it works a way better on an old Celeron 2,4 GHz with 256MB of RAM than Ubuntu on AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with 3GB of RAM. And yes, I have Compiz on both of them :D

However, I think I'll keep Ubuntu on my home machine 'cause I like to have newer versions of apps, and 'cause I like all about Ubuntu, its name, community, philosophy... But for work machine, Debian is ideal.

nitehawk777
February 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
I've used Etch,..really liked it,..but knew it was near the "end" of it's life. So I've been extremely tempted to run Deb5,....but then I hate the thought of being locked into the same old apps for about 2 more years.
In compromize,..I've been playing around with Dreamlinux 3.2.
It's based directly on Lenny and Sid,...with a bunch of addons.
....Ubuntu has made me prefer Debian-based distros!

init1
February 21st, 2009, 12:45 AM
Extremely stability. Debian developers put a LOT more time into Debian, and it definitely shows.

gn2
February 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
Extremely stability. Debian developers put a LOT more time into Debian, and it definitely shows.

I have had no stability issues with 8.04 so I'm sticking with it.

PurposeOfReason
February 21st, 2009, 12:53 AM
I've used Etch,..really liked it,..but knew it was near the "end" of it's life. So I've been extremely tempted to run Deb5,....but then I hate the thought of being locked into the same old apps for about 2 more years.
In compromize,..I've been playing around with Dreamlinux 3.2.
It's based directly on Lenny and Sid,...with a bunch of addons.
....Ubuntu has made me prefer Debian-based distros!
IMO, not much has changed in the past two years that is really needed. Gnome is still much the same. Only big change was firefox3. Everything else got upgraded, but not with huge game making deals.

init1
February 21st, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have had no stability issues with 8.04 so I'm sticking with it.
Not everyone does. Use what works. For me anyway, Ubuntu is a bit unstable, but it's the most practical option right now.

Athanasius
February 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
Dreamlinux looks like what I am looking for in Debian, thanks nitehawk777 for bringing it up!