PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Radeon 9600 Drivers and Installation.

StuartB4
February 17th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Are there any drivers around for the ATI Radeon 9600 card that I dont need a degree to install. I downloaded the ones from here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

I've read all the instructions but am getting stuck at the first hurdle.
In the instructions it says

To install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver using the Automatic option, follow
these steps:
1 Launch the Terminal Application/Window and navigate to the ATI Proprietary
Linux driver download.
2 Enter the command sh ./ati-driver-installer-8.573-x86.x86_64 to launch the
ATI Proprietary Linux driver installer.
The ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Setup dialog box is displayed
3 Select Install Driver and click Continue. The ATI License Agreement will be
displayed.

I can't get past step 2.
The driver installer file I downloaded with the instructions is actually called "ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64" so when it did'nt work with the command they say, I tried it with the one I downloaded. Still nothing.

I can't believe what a pain it is just doing a simple thing like install a program/driver etc. I want to use linux in one form or another but am seriously thinkig about going back to Windows.

For how long linux has been around and the hundreds of thousands of people that have worked on it surely they can come up with a better way by now. Windows for example, click on the setup icon, agree with the license agreement, install the program.

Why can't all the clever programmers who work on Linux come up with something similar.

Mark Phelps
February 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Why can't all the clever programmers who work on Linux come up with something similar.

They have ... Try using Envy to uninstall and then reinstall your video drivers.

Link is below:
http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

StuartB4
February 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks but link is not working.
It also says Nvidia in the link, I have ATI.

Address Not Found

www.albertomilone.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of

"www.mozilla.org")

* Are you certain this domain address exists? Its registration may have expired.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check your network connection and DNS server settings.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

StuartB4
February 18th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Got the link working, downloaded and installed Envy.
When it runs it will only uninstall existing drivers.
If I try the install manually option it needs to find driver version
8-3, 8.40.4, or 8.28.8
The version I have is ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64

This is exactly my point, no simple way to do anything with Linux.