PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Decorations invisible

Skrean
February 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
SOLVED

I have Ubuntu Hardy with 'Advanced Desktop Effects'-Compiz installed.

Since some days the windows decorations are invisible. The 'minimize', 'unmaximize' and 'close window' buttons are there but there's just a transparent bar at the top of every window.

When the cursor hovers over the place where the buttons are supposed to appear, the 'button descriptions' do appear as usual as shown in attachment.

Changing the theme does not work.

At System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Settings, unchecking Windows Decorations and re-putting them does not work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Advanced Desktop Settings didi not work.

What should I do?

Thanks for any help.

malachi1990
February 17th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Set the desktop effects to normal or none, if turning off wobbly windows doesn't work.

This usually solves it. If you want just some lighter effects, you can try compositing with metacity or e16.

gettinoriginal
February 17th, 2009, 06:14 AM
If you hit F11 twice, then manually minimize the window, close the window, then reopen and maximize with the max button, you should be set. :p

Skrean
February 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Set the desktop effects to normal or none, if turning off wobbly windows doesn't work.

This usually solves it. If you want just some lighter effects, you can try compositing with metacity or e16.

If you hit F11 twice, then manually minimize the window, close the window, then reopen and maximize with the max button, you should be set. :p

These did not work...D'u have any other suggestions?

gettinoriginal--the problem is with every window and not just with one window...

Update: Malachi1990's right...Setting Desktop Effects to none did not solve the problem straightaway. Had to set to none and reset desktop effects to 'Extra' for the windows decorations to reappear. Thanks a lot!