PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] KDE 4+ stability

HittingSmoke
February 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I originally started with Kubuntu and eventually switched to Ubuntu because Gnome fit better with Firefox and some other things I used.

I love Gnome in it's elegance but I'm finding that quite a few KDE programs just seem to be more feature rich than their Gnome equivalents, and KDE apps look horrid under Ubuntu.

I tried out KDE 4 when it was first released for Kubuntu and it was a buggy nightmare. How far has it come in terms of stability? I'm trying Kubuntu Intrepid out in Vbox right now, but if my understanding is correct than it wont give me an accurate representation of how it will run as a fresh install because it's being presented with virtual hardware and not my own.

Hmm, this has kind of turned into a ramble. Has anyone had any problems with the later versions of KDE and Kubuntu?

cptr13
February 17th, 2009, 06:13 PM
You'll get differing opinions on this. If you tried KDE 4.0, then you're in luck, because it's gotten a LOT better in the last year. I'm not sure I've ever seen a positive review of 4.0. 4.1 was much more stable and less buggy and 4.2 was recently released and seems to quell most of the screaming. I've been running KDE4 for a while now and love it. 4.1 is available on Hardy and 4.2 can be installed on Ibex with some research on how to do it. 4.2 will be available as default on Kubuntu with Jaunty.

Good luck.

HittingSmoke
February 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
You'll get differing opinions on this. If you tried KDE 4.0, then you're in luck, because it's gotten a LOT better in the last year. I'm not sure I've ever seen a positive review of 4.0. 4.1 was much more stable and less buggy and 4.2 was recently released and seems to quell most of the screaming. I've been running KDE4 for a while now and love it. 4.1 is available on Hardy and 4.2 can be installed on Ibex with some research on how to do it. 4.2 will be available as default on Kubuntu with Jaunty.

Good luck.

Thanks. I tried it on Vbox and was mildly impressed. As soon as I turned on Compiz thought the thing bugged out and now wont work. I'm hoping that this is just an issue with Compiz and Vbox running together.

Monsieur Gonzalez
February 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Well, I've been using 4.2 on Intrepid since they released the Beta, then upgraded to final, and found it stable and, well, for the way I work with my computer, works better than Gnome, but that's just a matter of personal taste, or opinion.

You'll find how to install Kde4.2 on Intrepid in the Kubuntu web page (http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2). Give it a try, and then keep it or get rid of it.

Good luck.

binbash
February 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I used 4.1 and 4.2 both were stable for me.4.1 had very small bugs

HittingSmoke
February 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was riding the fence on switching after a few bugs with 4.1 but after upgrading to 4.2 I'm sold. No more bugs and much better usability.

Ben Page
February 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I recommend KDE 4.2.0 and (if you use nVidia) 180.11 =< nVidia drivers. There are almost no bugs, and the Konqueror browser is as good as Firefox (maybe a bit better looking), also, use KWin window manager, not Compiz, Kwin is native win mgr and now has cool 3d cube and suff, so you don't actually need Compiz (and there are some compatibility issues).
You can install Jaunty Alpha 4, but it is still Alpha (although I use it as my primary OS and had no crashes or freezes yet).
Definitely better looking and feature richer than Gnome, but it depends what features you really need and use.

Respect to all DEs there for *buntu!

WaffleCode
February 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
4.2 is supposed to be pretty stable.

I always recommend KDE 3 as well, though I seem to be missing a "legacy KDE" option ... :(

Of course, you can always try another environment, such as Enlightenment: sudo apt-get install e16.

HittingSmoke
February 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I recommend KDE 4.2.0 and (if you use nVidia) 180.11 =< nVidia drivers. There are almost no bugs, and the Konqueror browser is as good as Firefox (maybe a bit better looking), also, use KWin window manager, not Compiz, Kwin is native win mgr and now has cool 3d cube and suff, so you don't actually need Compiz (and there are some compatibility issues).
You can install Jaunty Alpha 4, but it is still Alpha (although I use it as my primary OS and had no crashes or freezes yet).
Definitely better looking and feature richer than Gnome, but it depends what features you really need and use.

Respect to all DEs there for *buntu!

Thanks for the tips! I have Intrepid up and running with KDE 4.2, but how to I configure Kwin? A Google search turned up nothing more useful than to look under Session Manager in the advanced system settings but there's nothing there that mentions Kwin or Window managers

solwic
February 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I was riding the fence on switching after a few bugs with 4.1 but after upgrading to 4.2 I'm sold. No more bugs and much better usability.

Is 4.2 really that much better? I prefer KDE to Gnome but Kubuntu has never been a good representation of KDE (IMO).

Is it finally working?

Chrisj303
February 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I decided to install it again last night - just to see if it had gotten any better (TBH, it couldn't get any worse).

Was really dissapointed, its still a mess. I honestly can't understand its attraction. The menus are a mess and confusing, the taskbar is horrid, the whole thing just looks horrid.

I got compizfusion and emerald up and running - but it wasn't enough to save it.

Uninstall.Uninstall.Uninstall.Now.

Confusing, buggy mess.

Sorry.

krazyd
February 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Is 4.2 really that much better? I prefer KDE to Gnome but Kubuntu has never been a good representation of KDE (IMO).

Is it finally working?

Sure is. I'm using it as my main desktop now - haven't had a crash yet. Just don't use compiz - the kde window manager kwin has compositing built in.

HittingSmoke
February 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Is it finally working?

It's come a looong way since I first tried Gutsy. All of my bugs were during installation and easily recoverable. I'm really loving it, glad I switched.

I decided to install it again last night - just to see if it had gotten any better (TBH, it couldn't get any worse).

Was really dissapointed, its still a mess. I honestly can't understand its attraction. The menus are a mess and confusing, the taskbar is horrid, the whole thing just looks horrid.

I got compizfusion and emerald up and running - but it wasn't enough to save it.

Uninstall.Uninstall.Uninstall.Now.

Confusing, buggy mess.

Sorry.

Agreed on the confusing menus. I switched Kicker back to classic style but I hate the System settings screen and prefer the way Gnome handles it's intricacies. The look and feel of the desktop after you get it set up the way you like is much more sexy feeling.

Also, did you upgrade to KDE 4.2 after you installed? I noticed some bugs and crashes when I was testing out 4.1. The upgrade was what sold me though.

Docaltmed
February 20th, 2009, 03:06 AM
4.1 was a train wreck for me. 4.2 is much better, capable of withstanding the rigours of an active small business (doctor's office) environment. Still have some weird issues with tablet pc screen rotation, but that's all.

Grifulkin
February 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Nice, I would love to test out KDE 4.2 but can never do it right, I install Kubuntu 8.10 and then do the updates, and then do everything Kubuntu.com tells me to do to get KDE 4.2 and yet it has not worked for me yet.

cptr13
February 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Referencing the KWIN question.

Click on "configure Desktop" from your KMenu.
Click on "desktop"
These are your KWIN settings
By clicking "all effects" you can see all of the effects and options. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as compiz, but it is decent enough to use and will only get better.

HittingSmoke
February 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Referencing the KWIN question.

Click on "configure Desktop" from your KMenu.
Click on "desktop"
These are your KWIN settings
By clicking "all effects" you can see all of the effects and options. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as compiz, but it is decent enough to use and will only get better.

Yea, I'm hoping for mouse key mapping for Kwin effects. In compiz I would just middle click on my desktop to rotate to my next workspace. Reaching to the keyboard kind of takes the convenience out of having the cube enabled.

R33D3M33R
March 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Is anyone using nvidia legacy GPU (Geforce 4 and older) on KDE 4.2? I'm just wondering if the 2D speed improved.