PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Problems with all installs

dougalkerr
February 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Tried Xubuntu 8.04 today. Wouldn't complete the install. Tried again but, without the splash screen to see what was happenin. It stalls on DMA time out.
I tried Linux Mint, twice... It also fails to complete the install. When loading the language packs, it just stops...
Can't for the life of me understand what is happenin with all these different Linux versions and the installation blues when Windows XP always loads without any probs. I now have a collection of eleven different distros which fail on different things but, mostly memory problems as far as I can see. Does Linux address memory in a different way or something. I just want to be able to install Linux (preferably Ubuntu) and have it run. That's it. I don't mind trying to configure it to get it working well and thanks again for all advice. I am hoping someone will agree with me that there is something wrong with my Acer Travelmate 630 as a Linux machine so that I can seriously consider a different make of laptop as I intend to buy a new machine later this year and I am looking for advice on which to go for that will be good for photography work and possibly video editing. Any suggestions welcome. I live in Scotland and my budget will be between 500 and 700 pounds. I had my eye on an Acer 6930 but, because of the install problems I have been havin with my present one with Linux I am more inclined to go with a Dell machine. Once again thanks for your thoughts on this guys n gals.

trepid666
February 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
When your computer starts up, go into the BIOS and change the OS from msdos to other. and enable plug n play OS if you can.