PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install TOR in 8.10

BuntuFirstTimer
February 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I know there are several threads how to install TOR. A lot of times, they just show you this website https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR

However, since average beginner Ubuntu users don't know how to configure Software Source GUI Application or such, I hope the Ubuntu gurus explain it easier for beginners like me.

Of course, if that's okay.

Thank you.

oldos2er
February 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Open a terminal, and enter

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install tor

BuntuFirstTimer
February 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Is that it? I think there's more to it.

oldos2er
February 17th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Is that it? I think there's more to it.

That's all there is to installing it; configuring it is more involved.

BuntuFirstTimer
February 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
That's all there is to installing it; configuring it is more involved.

I don't if I'm making myself a fool, I don't know how to configure further on. :(

BuntuFirstTimer
February 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Bump

bornagainpenguin
February 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM
/BAMP (also for 8.04.2 Hardy Heron please)

--bornagainpenguin

oldos2er
February 18th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I don't use tor, and don't know much about it. If you google "ubuntu tor howto" many links come up.

You might want to look for help in the Security Discussions subforum.

EvinK
February 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Give me a day or so and I will link you an openoffice word doc with pics and step-by-step to see if it makes it easier for you to install

EvinK
February 19th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Ok Bornagain and BuntuFirst, I sent you a PM with some instructions (very verbose) that might be able to help you get it installed.

Chaps
February 19th, 2009, 10:44 PM
EvinK,

Can you post those instructions on how to configure the program? I installed per Ann's instructions, but now need to configure.

Thanks.

EvinK
February 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Chaps, I will post it for you when I get home. I don't have it on my work computer and forgot the link to it on the web.

ZhuaSD
February 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Um, since when is this board using private messages?

Any chance more info on installing tor will be posted?

EvinK
February 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
ZhuaSD, I am fairly sure this message board utilises PM's quite frequently even though you might not. The way I provided my instructions were up to my discretion and had reason's behind it. I am sorry if it wasn't they weren't posted the way you deemed they should be.

I am willing to help anyone on install Tor, but I could use alot more information like what step are you stuck on?

Did you follow the link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TOR) in the OP? What part(s) are you stuck on.