PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Netbook UI help

addicuss
February 17th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hi all sorry if this is in the wrong category. Please move if it is. I'm somewhat new to the forums (not so new to Ubuntu but newish).

I have Ubuntu running on a Dell mini 9. I ran UNR on it for awhile. It was great but after awhile I grew bored with its lack of customization and lack of flexibility.

Here's were I need help. What applications, UI's, Etc can you guys (and gals) recommend to make my netbook experience more comfortable. Honestly I am looking for anything and everything that you can think of. Whether it be a simple settings change, a program, or an entirely new UI. Also sell me on your ideas if you have time. ie: Don't just say "get program x!" Say "hey you should get program x because you can customize it and do this with it which works very well on a tiny screen and uses very few resources".

Thanks in advance and my apologies if there are similar threads out there. I tried several searches and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

ugm6hr
February 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with the Dell Ubuntu version.

Just switch off the Netbook Remix UI to get a proper Gnome interface. I then customised mine as follows:

1. Remove lower panel
2. Autohide upper panel (more screen space)
3. Desktop switcher to centre of upper panel with "View Desktop" and "Window Selector" on either side (since lower panel removed - allows easy swapping between open applications)
4. Replace "Quit" with "Close Window" applet in top right corner of upper panel (easy closing of windows at top right useful with autohiding panel - it changes to a logout icon if all windows closed)

I've found it as usable as regular Gnome while preserving my screen space. With the Littlefox addon for FF https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/307 I don't even use the fullscreen view for browsing.