PDA

View Full Version : job for a youngster? in computers?

SonnHalter
February 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'll be turning 16 soon enough and in my family that means getting a job. I am VERY computer savvy ( if i do say so myself), and I would really like a job dealing with a comp. I need something like that or either working in a bookstore :D.

So would anyone know of a store I could work at and when I could work there

earthpigg
February 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
geek squad?

cardinals_fan
February 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
geek squad?
He said he was savvy. In order to get a job at Best Buy, you either have to be an idiot or pretend to be one so they'll hire you.

SonnHalter
February 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
do they hire that young?

earthpigg
February 17th, 2009, 12:17 AM
He said he was savvy. In order to get a job at Best Buy, you either have to be an idiot or pretend to be one so they'll hire you.

o right, my mistake.

Dr Small
February 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
You are absolute correct.

Grant A.
February 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I think I should subscribe to this thread, since I just turned 16 today. :)

kk0sse54
February 17th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I'll be turning 16 soon enough and in my family that means getting a job. I am VERY computer savvy ( if i do say so myself), and I would really like a job dealing with a comp. I need something like that or either working in a bookstore :D.

Why not community service?

Firestem4
February 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Geek Squad is 18 minimum and they require A+ Certification. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you they require a CompTIA A+ Certification and 18 years old.

TBH, and not trying to get your spirits down. Not many people are going to hire a high school kid for a computer field related job. (regardless of how Savvy you are) I was in the same boat you are (I'm 19 now) and I just got a computer job a week ago!...(Doesn't help the economy sucks)

mysticrider92
February 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM
do they hire that young?

Nope, Best Buy, Staples, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.. all require you to be 18. They don't care about how good you are, they just want to work you full time and on Sundays..

Your best bet is to know people in the computer business. Small places are often looking for skilled people regardless of age, the trick is showing you are interested and competent. I once went into a computer shop to see if they sold various parts. Turns out there wasn't a market for that, but I did walk out with a job. The owner decided to change to a different type of work about a year later, but it was a cool experience.

One thing you might consider is getting an A+ certification in computers. You just get the book, study it, and take a test. It proves you have the knowledge to work in computers, and will go a long way towards getting a job. Check it out here: http://certification.comptia.org/a/.

Keep in mind that in this economy, finding work is hard. Being 16, it is even harder. On top of that, you want to work in a competitive, specialized field. Be ready to talk to a lot of people, get rejected many times, and know that you may have to settle for less right now. Good luck in your search!

Twitch6000
February 17th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Nope, Best Buy, Staples, CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.. all require you to be 18. They don't care about how good you are, they just want to work you full time and on Sundays..

Your best bet is to know people in the computer business. Small places are often looking for skilled people regardless of age, the trick is showing you are interested and competent. I once went into a computer shop to see if they sold various parts. Turns out there wasn't a market for that, but I did walk out with a job. The owner decided to change to a different type of work about a year later, but it was a cool experience.

One thing you might consider is getting an A+ certification in computers. You just get the book, study it, and take a test. It proves you have the knowledge to work in computers, and will go a long way towards getting a job. Check it out here: http://certification.comptia.org/a/.

Keep in mind that in this economy, finding work is hard. Being 16, it is even harder. On top of that, you want to work in a competitive, specialized field. Be ready to talk to a lot of people, get rejected many times, and know that you may have to settle for less right now. Good luck in your search!
Hey thanks for that link,now when I turn 18 I can go to the community collage and get my certification :).(found out my community collage gives the test for it)

earthpigg
February 17th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Geek Squad is 18 minimum and they require A+ Certification. If you have a Fry's Electronics near you they require a CompTIA A+ Certification and 18 years old.

their website does not mention requiring A+ cert for the basic starter geek squad dude :)

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/content.aspx?id=1957&menu_id=485

Responsibilities
• Assist customers within the Precinct’s Standard Operating Platform (SOP)
• Provide initial contact with customers, plus check in products for service
• Perform basic testing to determine product needs and service solutions
• Facilitate in-store sales, upgrades, installations and service
Basic Qualifications
• Expertise in DOS, Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista or Mac OS X
• Knowledge in troubleshooting hardware, peripherals, software, operating systems and Internet connections
• Proficiency in software installations and upgrades
• Strong research and problem-solving capabilities
Preferred Qualifications
• Strong plus: proof of Apple certifications (current or expired), Linux experience and laptop repair training

Firestem4
February 17th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I stand corrected. I am just confused because I was asking some of the geek squad employee's about a job position and they said it required that...Maybe they were pulling my leg.

I could get the A+ Certification...im just lazy =*( lol.

Although it does explain a lot...Maybe Best Buy shuold mandate certified employee's... But then...that'll take some potential business away from me... (I freelance computer work every now and then.) I saved my former boss hundreds on his personal computers =-)

SonnHalter
February 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I think I'll just check out a local computer store. see if they're hiring, prob not. my generation is getting Kicked repeatedly in the balls by the economy right now

juanmoreno92
February 17th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I here ya.... I am 17 and am trying to find some local computer stores to work at too. They say I am too "untrained" while I demonstrate my Linux and Windows haX0r sk!llz right in front of them. Imbesiles.....

Firestem4
February 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Its called the Learning Effect. (This is for Juan and Sonn,). Even if you are the most competent computer technician in the world, Most people won't hire you because you don't have anything stating you are competent. I am ambivalent towards this. While it does take precedent. I beleive it causes unfair and biased educational descrimination.

For example, I myself am a very competent computer user. I have completed an A+ course in high school, and I did a 130 hour internship. (I don't have an industry standard A+ Certification). Most companies wont even give my resume a second thought.

A major hinderance is my lack of real-world work experience in my field. I am lucky to have finally found a job. (I'm contracting for a small company that has approximaately 15 employee's on a Windows Server 2003 network, CISCO routing). While i have no experience with CISCO equipment, the skills ive already learned in the few days working there are invaluable, and the mark on my resume =).

Good luck finding a job! Remember one important thing, If a company can't hire you on as a full-time/part time employee, and you are willing to take the chance, See if you can become a contractor for them, which will mean you are on call. The advantage is you can ask for more money since you aren't being paid benefits. And you aren't required to take a 45 minute lunch break, and 2 15 minute breaks, and anything etc like that because you are not apart of a union.

Only thing is you will have to take out the taxes yourself (if you make over so much a year that is). At some point they either may have no more need for your services, or they can hire you on at a later time. Thats what is happening for me. I am pretty sure by the end of the month I will be employed full-time by this company.

JackieChan
February 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
If I were you, I would try working at a small business. It's usually lower maintenance and you have more flexible hours compared to a major retail store like Best Buy.

Since your good with computers, my first recommendation would be checking out some small local computer businesses and see if they're hiring. If that ends up failing, try working at your local library. I had a friend who worked at the library as his first job, it was a very low maintenance job and it dealt heavily with computers. There's always the option of working online too? If all else fails, I would go for a job that doesn't deal much with computers - like retail, a salesperson, or janitor for a small business. I hope I helped. Good luck! :)

T2manner
February 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I agree with most everyone else, a local computer store would be your best bet.
Even if you aren't doing any major computer work, and you're cleaning up the place or something, you're at least in a computer environment and will learn stuff.
When I turn 16 I'm going to try to get a job at a local computer store.

kai2kai
February 17th, 2009, 05:00 AM

i dont think it is easy to get a job this year

JackieChan
February 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM
You're just lucky you all can get jobs. Here in Michigan, the unemployment rate is extremely high. It's been nearly impossible for me to find a job, let alone find a job I like. I'm going to have to be a janitor at a Catholic school this summer to pay for summer school and my trip overseas. :(

.Maleficus.
February 17th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I work at Geek Squad and I wouldn't say I'm an idiot (or that I pretended to be one when I applied). I'm also 17, and got hired at 16.

*Shrugs*

Firestem4
February 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Then you are the golden nugget in each geek squad =P.

Most Geek Squads are downright idiots though.. I'm sure you've noticed this yourself, possibly with some of your colleagues.

earthpigg
February 17th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Then you are the golden nugget in each geek squad =P.

Most Geek Squads are downright idiots though.. I'm sure you've noticed this yourself, possibly with some of your colleagues.

that makes it more appealing to work there, imo, if you are just getting started...

easy to look good, get promoted past your peers, build that resume.