PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to cheer up?

DeadRobot
February 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I'm having the worst week of my life (seriously) and I feel ultra-depressed.

So I was just wondering what you guys do to cheer yourselves up?

foxbase
February 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I never get down :popcorn:

markp1989
February 17th, 2009, 12:10 AM

not to be rude, but to say that to some one who is feeling down is a bit of a kick in the balls

@op : only advice i can giv is to talk to an uninvolved person about whats bothering you.

rifak
February 17th, 2009, 12:21 AM
everyone gets a little down every now and then. this may sound cheesy but what helps me is to take a long drive, smoke some cigarettes and just listen to music. talking to others helps sometimes, but sometimes there just not anyone thats there or you just plain dont feel like talking. getting away and just thinking works best for me....start fresh afterwards

HermanAB
February 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM
When I want to cheer up, I depress a key.

markp1989
February 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
everyone gets a little down every now and then. this may sound cheesy but what helps me is to take a long drive, smoke some cigarettes and just listen to music. talking to others helps sometimes, but sometimes there just not anyone thats there or you just plain dont feel like talking. getting away and just thinking works best for me....start fresh afterwards

i agree that music works, just try not to listen to anything depresing.

bsharp
February 17th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I do something to take my mind off of it. This could be what switham said, go for a drive-it doesn't matter where, sometimes (depending on the price of gas), I just get on the interstate and drive for about 20 mins or so, then head back. My favorite time to do this is at night. The road is dark, there's no traffic, and the road seems to stretch out into eternity.

Another thing I do is a very repetitive hobby of mine-making chainmail. It doesn't matter what it is, but whatever you do the best thing is to do something that requires your full undivided attention. You'd be amazed how time flies.

MarblePanther
February 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I find burying myself in work or something else that takes my mind off it usually works best. My choice in music usually aggravates my condition (hehe, listening to Closer by Joy Division is not a good idea when depressed).

I have unipolar depression. It's not fun. My advice, bury yourself in a good book or study something you've never learned before--it'll occupy you and you'll soon forget your troubles. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary. :)

mriedel
February 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
When I get down, I regress to my younger self and play RPGs or employ other means of escapism.

Seriously? You made that account and/or logged in just to publicly display that you are

a) a liar
b) ignorant
c) both?

Not to mention a pretty apparent lack of empathy...

BuffaloX
February 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Try not to be alone too much, be with friends or family.
Get some fresh air, preferably combined with some sort of activity.
Try to put bad things behind you and look forward.
Avoid news channels they're depressing (maybe except daily show and Colbert)
If you do your own cooking, try to do something extra nice.
Try to focus on good things you like.
Have a look at cute overload:
http://www.cuteoverload.com/

If you continue to be depressed, you must see a doctor.

SunnyRabbiera
February 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Me I am morbid so this site amuses me:
http://www.giantmicrobes.com/

cute stuffed animals shaped like diseases!

uberg
February 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
What i am doing right now. Hit shuffle on rhythmbox and do something that takes my mind off things. Read posts; study code; look at pretty pictures. Don't mind the depressing music. Just remember when your done listening to play something upbeat and a favorite. Last thing heard will play in your mind. You won't be avoiding your problems (well, temporally); you will be putting them in the subconsious by focusing your mind on more constructive things. It will do some work and perculating while you get into a better mindset.

Polygon
February 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
nothing.

kk0sse54
February 17th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Play drums which I'm sorta doing right now ever since reading the nice message in Other OS Talk :(

issih
February 17th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Puzzles and swimming..not necessarily simultaneously. Any form of exercise is a good idea when you are feeling seriously miserable. Other than that things that will occupy your mind will help you get through the worst until things begin to calm down.

If it goes on too long then please talk to someone. The whole therapy/antidepressant thing is scary as hell going in, I know this from experience, and to be honest I can't claim that I know 100% for certain that they really helped, but the simple fact that I was doing something positive to try and sort myself out, was invaluable.

Hope things improve for you

mamamia88
February 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
play rockband

urukrama
February 17th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Become more active. Play a sport if you are into sports. Otherwise, do some hard physical work, or something similar. It helps to lift you up.

DrHackenbush
February 17th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Try doing something nice for someone else. It doesn't have to be anything huge but it has to be something genuinely selfless.

octesian
February 17th, 2009, 02:51 AM
When I'm feelin blue I like to play the bass and sing, or if I can't play (like right now) I just sing along to whatever is playing on my computer. Also going for a walk helps and just laying in bed thinking too.

SonnHalter
February 17th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I like to play xbox.