PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot XP and Ubuntu System Clock error

jakenbake42
February 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I installed Windows XP and then Ubuntu on my machine and now, the clock is always 3 hours ahead on boths operating systems, and I don't know how to fix that
What do I do?
Thanks in advance! :]

Tobi-fp
February 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Try going into boot setup:

Its usually done by pressing F2 on startup..

jakenbake42
February 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Ok that worked for the first boot of ubuntu and xp after doing that
but I launched Ubuntu again
what i did in the setup was changed the time hit enter, and then the escape key to leave set up
something I did wrong?
something I can do?

Thanks again! :]

caljohnsmith
February 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Are you using 8.04 or 8.10? How about opening a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

cat /etc/default/rcS | grep -i utc
Does that show "UTC=yes"? If so, that's most likely your problem. You can change it by doing:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS
And then change it so "UTC=no". Let me know how that goes.

jakenbake42
February 17th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Are you using 8.04 or 8.10? How about opening a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

cat /etc/default/rcS | grep -i utc
Does that show "UTC=yes"? If so, that's most likely your problem. You can change it by doing:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS
And then change it so "UTC=no". Let me know how that goes.
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10
and I put that into the terminal and it said

UTC=no

Thanks so much though.
Is there anything else I can do?

caljohnsmith
February 17th, 2009, 03:53 AM
At least when you are in Ubuntu, if you right-click the time shown in the top panel on the desktop, you can choose "Adjust Date & Time", and then once you adjust the time to be correct, click the "Set System Time." Then if you reboot, is the time OK or is it still 3 hours off?

jakenbake42
February 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM
At least when you are in Ubuntu, if you right-click the time shown in the top panel on the desktop, you can choose "Adjust Date & Time", and then once you adjust the time to be correct, click the "Set System Time." Then if you reboot, is the time OK or is it still 3 hours off?
I'm afraid that didn't work either :[
I tried what Tobi-fp recommened, hitting F2 at startup, and that worked at the initial boot of Ubuntu, and then XP, but the second time I booted Ubuntu it was back at 3 hours ahead

Thanks friend!

octesian
February 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Maybe your region settings are incorrect and its set to automatically update the time?