PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Test SuSE!

jdong
January 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Now that the 9.2 DVD ISO is out, I'm gonna put a little 8.4GB Hd in my desktop to test SuSE with. I don't plan on doing so for any more than 1 month. I'm still a registered distro junkie -- I still need to play around with them!!

jdong
January 10th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'm liking it. I really am. Much better, well-polished than Fedora Core -- NO COMPARISON!

This is definitely Ubuntu quality or above. I'm being reminded of the glorious days of KDE now. Good job, SuSE!

YaST is really nice. Don't listen to the bad comments... Ubuntu definitely needs a YAST-like system.

rbrimhall
January 10th, 2005, 11:22 PM
suse 9.2 wasn't bad if you like kde... gnome sucks on suse though... check out the help... it'll open up a kde-help window which contains gnome help... pretty strange... where's the ximian love?;)

jakeslife
January 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I've read some pretty good reviews about SuSE's new releases. I started out with SuSE (first distro I ever bought) and used it for a while when I was first trying out linux.

SuSE's GUI is great...very tasty. The menus are usually pretty clean too (the structures not too deep). And of course, YaST is pretty cool too. The only issues I ever had with SuSE was USB hardware support and media support.

jdodson
January 10th, 2005, 11:36 PM
SuSE's GUI is great...very tasty. The menus are usually pretty clean too (the structures not too deep). And of course, YaST is pretty cool too. The only issues I ever had with SuSE was USB hardware support and media support.

seriously? the kde GUI we have at work on suse 9.2 IMO looks like junk. give me simple any day over clutter and a gazillion apps to pick from.

jdong
January 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I think I'll stick with SuSE for ~2 weeks to get a complete feel for it, then make my final decision on it!

wallijonn
January 11th, 2005, 12:06 AM
It'll probably be a slow transition seeing as Novell now owns SUSE and Ximian.

But, try SUSE9.2? No thanks. I love Ubuntu. My days of trying every distro out there are over.

jdodson
January 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I think I'll stick with SuSE for ~2 weeks to get a complete feel for it, then make my final decision on it!

hopefully you will stick with it as long as you stuck with fedora core 3:)

ubuntu-geek
January 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I tried it.. BARF..

Quest-Master
January 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I came from Suse 9.1 Personal world, and let me tell you installing software in ANY way, shape, or form was an absolute and horrendous pain. Building from source, installing through RPM, or through YaST was all included. Most of the apps through YaST crashed on start, and the RPM's had trouble detecting dependencies as well. Building from source.. don't even go there. ;)

YaST is definitely nice though for the purpose it serves. I am considering building an Ubuntu Control Center with Python and PyGTK. Anyone interested? ;)

Sensebend
January 11th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I've tried SuSE and didn't like it, far too much hand holding. However that seems to be their intended focus so I'll give it to them that it does it really well. Yast2 does serve a useful purpose however it makes it difficult for more experienced users who already know how to do the tasks it provides. It's really good however for new users.

I think Ubuntu is superior because it is a debian based distribution, with a great community, good default settings, isn't unneccesarily bloated and is just well put together.

BWF89
January 11th, 2005, 01:34 AM
When I get my own computer I'm duel booting Ubuntu & SuSE...

Or Ubuntu and FreeBSD...

jdong
January 11th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Ok, after a bit more SuSE, the super-brightness is getting to me. Though I still like the KDE-ness.

Anyone sensing switchback desire? ;)

Oh yeah, I may wanna dual-boot Ubuntu and FreeBSD, too!

I'm sticking to my promise of testing SuSE for that 2 weeks!

jdong
January 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Update. Man, this is crap. I'm reinstalling Ubuntu now.

Quest-Master
January 11th, 2005, 02:02 AM
How did I see that coming? :D

After a while, SuSE's supposed "little" bugs just get to you.

I first installed SuSE, removed it because it got annoying, went back to Windows, went back to SuSE because Windows was even more annoying.. then FINALLY found the light.

Ubuntu for life. \m/

jdong
January 11th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Well, SuSE's a great distro for everyone -- from beginners to the advanced, from workstations to servers. It has a VERY respectable startup time -- better than Ubuntu's!!

However, nothing beats Debian's .deb package management system, or the selection of Debian Sid/ Universe. Plus, the software is slightly out of date. and I really didn't want to start SuSE Backports! LOL

poofyhairguy
January 11th, 2005, 02:19 AM

LoL. Thats how it is for me and 9.2 Suse. First day its like "wow, what have I been missing." But then after a while it acts irrational, like the Windows it wants to replace.

Gnome on Debian is THE way to go. I just wish that Gnome would finally get a K3B competitor so that I can finally recommend Ubuntu over Suse for new(bie) users. It sucks to tell them that in order to burn CDs they must download and run K3B from the commandline AND always remember to delete their ICEauthority file (from the commandline) afterwards or their system won't work. The minute that goes away (aka an desktop user can do every basic thing Windows can do without touching the commandline) I will install Ubuntu on my family's computers without fear.

Edit: I should have said: "The minute Coaster is good enough to be apart of the official release"

jazzorist
January 11th, 2005, 03:05 AM
It sucks to tell them that in order to burn CDs they must download and run K3B from the commandline AND always remember to delete their ICEauthority file (from the commandline) afterwards or their system won't work

No need for that, actually. Just create a custom launcher with the command "gksudo k3b" and ICEauthority stays unchanged.

wallijonn
January 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Man, this is crap. I'm reinstalling Ubuntu now.
LOL!

wallijonn
January 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM
poofyhiarguy,

It's either start it from a root terminal, or as jazzorist says, add an applet and at the command line say gksudo /usr/bin/k3b

mark
January 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Yep, I had the same thought. Downloaded the DVD ISO last night, installed it (on my /dev/hdb) this morning...and quickly decided to ditch it. Reasons?

It clobbered my Ubuntu grub config - even though I could have sworn I told it not to install a boot loader
I agree with a previous comment that SUSE is definitely KDE-centric (Gnome looks & acts like a last-minute add-on) & I really don't care for KDE
YOU (Yast Online Update (I think)) correctly determined that I needed the nVidia driver, found it - and then choked on the download/install
It just felt - well, ponderous. Not as responsive as Ubuntu...
What is it about us "distro junkies" that just can't leave well enough alone? <g>

poofyhairguy
January 11th, 2005, 09:20 AM
No need for that, actually. Just create a custom launcher with the command "gksudo k3b" and ICEauthority stays unchanged.

thanks a bunch!

HiddenWolf
January 11th, 2005, 03:38 PM
It'll probably be a slow transition seeing as Novell now owns SUSE and Ximian.

But, try SUSE9.2? No thanks. I love Ubuntu. My days of trying every distro out there are over.
Amen, Praise the lord, lady, and Tux. :-)

jdodson
January 11th, 2005, 05:49 PM

HA! jdong tests two of the most popular commercial gnu/linux distros out there and can barely stand them for a day.

gotta love ubuntu.

so i am hearing you right that you are not using if for two weeks?

Yukonjack
January 11th, 2005, 07:13 PM
However, nothing beats Debian's .deb package management system, or the selection of Debian Sid/ Universe. Plus, the software is slightly out of date. and I really didn't want to start SuSE Backports! LOL

Nothing beats the power of apt-get, in all the years I have tried different distro's apt-get is one mean machine :mrgreen: The rest of them needs work.

jdong
January 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
so i am hearing you right that you are not using if for two weeks?

Of course not! I'm happily back with Ubuntu.

fng
January 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Nothing beats the power of apt-get, in all the years I have tried different distro's apt-get is one mean machine :mrgreen: The rest of them needs work.

i still like emerge better than apt. But man, those compile times were a pain in the ass.