PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SongBird player doesn't load

sh4dyPT
February 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hello, I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 32 bits OS and I want to install SongBird music player, bud after installing .deb file I can't open the player. By clicking once on SongBird icon, on System Monitor I have two instance of songbird and tow of songbird-bin.
I don't know what to do, I have already reinstalled application twice and it's always the same :S.
I really love this player.

Any help will be appreciated.

redroad55
February 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I had to download from here :http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird
and chose to let it run rather than save..

sh4dyPT
February 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I had to download from here :http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird
and chose to let it run rather than save..

Nope, still not working :s

When I try to run songbird in terminal, the first line is
"*** glibc detected *** ././songbird-bin: free(): invalid pointer: 0xb2e9e640 ***"
I don't understand what this mean, but could this be an error or something?

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 01:09 AM
This is what songbird's site says for Pkg. Requirments:

# glibc 2.3.2 or later

# XFree86-3.3.6 or later

# gtk+2.0 or later

# fontconfig (also known as xft)

# libstdc++6

check synaptic to see if they are installed..

kk0sse54
February 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
You can also just download the package from the songbird site and extract it into your home directory. Within it it already has a ready to go executable that you just have to double click on for it to run without having to install anything.

sh4dyPT
February 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
This is what songbird's site says for Pkg. Requirments:

# glibc 2.3.2 or later

# XFree86-3.3.6 or later

# gtk+2.0 or later

# fontconfig (also known as xft)

# libstdc++6

check synaptic to see if they are installed..
I have those all packages installed on my system.

You can also just download the package from the songbird site and extract it into your home directory. Within it it already has a ready to go executable that you just have to double click on for it to run without having to install anything.

I have already tried this way, and still not working.

And after executing songbird twice, I receive this message "Songbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Songbird process, or restart your system."

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Try removing songbird and reinstalling .. Remove by :

sudo apt-get remove songbird

then install from link I provided from previous post ..

sh4dyPT
February 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Try removing songbird and reinstalling .. Remove by :

then install from link I provided from previous post ..

Still not working. :s.
I have tried to install songbird 0.7.0 and it works, but 1.0.0 doesn't. If there is any way to get 1.0.0 working I prefer 1.0.0, otherwise I will use 0.7.0.

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it ;)

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I'm running 1.0 with the 8.04 kernel .. The 1.0 version uses gstreamer where 0.7 used vlc so I would say your problem lies there .. In repositories do you have Medibuntu , If not than go here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Adding%20the%20Repositories

sh4dyPT
February 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm running 1.0 with the 8.04 kernel .. The 1.0 version uses gstreamer where 0.7 used vlc so I would say your problem lies there .. In repositories do you have Medibuntu , If not than go here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu#Adding%20the%20Repositories

What am I suppose to do? follow that tutorial? Songbird doesn't appear on "Add/remove...". I have vlc installed.

redroad55
February 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
This adds the repository to your software sources allowing in this case any gstreamer pkgs. that may be needed for songbird 1.0 to become available ..be sure and choose the kernel that you have installed on your system..

sh4dyPT
February 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM
This adds the repository to your software sources allowing in this case any gstreamer pkgs. that may be needed for songbird 1.0 to become available ..be sure and choose the kernel that you have installed on your system..

I have added Medibuntu repository and still have my problem not fixed. What am I suppose to do next?

sh4dyPT
February 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM

I have downloaded all available gstreamer packages, but Songbird 1.0.0 doesn't load!

redroad55
February 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think since you have attempted to install both versions you have a conflict in profiles .. I believe you are going to have to do more than uninstall but also the profile .. Then reinstall .. It is important to log out and log back in after making changes to profile .. Here is a link that should help to purge :http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Uninstall_Songbird..Post back with any results and or questions

A simple test to see if your profile is the suspect is to log out and log back in as a different user..

sh4dyPT
February 21st, 2009, 01:38 AM
I think since you have attempted to install both versions you have a conflict in profiles .. I believe you are going to have to do more than uninstall but also the profile .. Then reinstall .. It is important to log out and log back in after making changes to profile .. Here is a link that should help to purge :http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Uninstall_Songbird..Post back with any results and or questions

A simple test to see if your profile is the suspect is to log out and log back in as a different user..

I have tried few times to reinstall application and remove profiles, but after removing libvisual-0.4-plugins package and profiles folder Songbird 1.0.0 has finally load.

sudo apt-get remove libvisual-0.4-plugins
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.