PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] n00b installed ubuntu-desktop and...

cozee
February 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I installed it from a tutorial with this command line to start it " /etc/init.d/gdm start"
Putty says " Starting GNOME Display Manager...[ OK ]"

But wheres my display nothing pops up etc.I chose a server that has ubuntu 8.04 server on they didnt have the option for desktop and I really need one.
I have webmin installed correctly.Im fairly new to linux but im getting there slowly but ive always had a GUI to fall back onto.
Thanks for any help as google doesnt help n00bs...:)
..cozee

Perryg
February 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I installed it from a tutorial with this command line to start it " /etc/init.d/gdm start"
Putty says " Starting GNOME Display Manager...[ OK ]"

But wheres my display nothing pops up etc.I chose a server that has ubuntu 8.04 server on they didnt have the option for desktop and I really need one.
I have webmin installed correctly.Im fairly new to linux but im getting there slowly but ive always had a GUI to fall back onto.
Thanks for any help as google doesnt help n00bs...:)
..cozee

Your entry is a little confusing, but if I understand you have Ubuntu 8.04 and have installed gdm. If that is the case you can (from terminal) type startx and it should load you up.

ugm6hr
February 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Try adding this lot:

sudo apt-get install xorg gdm acpi-support gnome-session gnome-menus gnome-panel gnome-applets gnome-volume-manager gnome-power-manager metacity nautilus gnome-screensaver xscreensaver menu gnome-utils gnome-system-tools libgnomevfs2-extra smbfs

You have to be online with a wired internet connection.

cozee
February 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Im on a server thats rented.
It didnt have a desktop option although ive just sent a ticket requesting at least a gui version.
I only need it for websurfing and using either transmission or deluge.Its got 2x150gb HDD in so i wanna be able to see that also.
Im new to linux but am slowly learning webmin is installed and working.
Thanks in advance.....cozee

**EdiT**
I tried that command ugm6hr but get the same results.I use the "startx" command it says that its already running and to run a command that doesnt make a difference.I try the "/etc/init.d/gdm start" and it says " Starting GNOME Display Manager...[ OK ]" but still no display:(

Perryg
February 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Im on a server thats rented.
It didnt have a desktop option although ive just sent a ticket requesting at least a gui version.
I only need it for websurfing and using either transmission or deluge.Its got 2x150gb HDD in so i wanna be able to see that also.
Im new to linux but am slowly learning webmin is installed and working.
Thanks in advance.....cozee

**EdiT**
I tried that command ugm6hr but get the same results.I use the "startx" command it says that its already running and to run a command that doesnt make a difference.I try the "/etc/init.d/gdm start" and it says " Starting GNOME Display Manager...[ OK ]" but still no display:(

If all of these are loaded and you are still in a terminal window try <ctrl>-<alt>-F7 and see if it takes you back to the GUI.